i7 and other Temp ranges..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard that the i7 performs very well even in the 70s with no BSODs. It seems to have a higher tolerance for heat

Oh it does, but the lower the temp the better. Why not risk it? I like to stay under 60c regardless of the max safe temp. My cooler is more than capable of that.

Oh ya I totally agree. I personally like to stay under 45 but I have watercooling so thats not an issue, for air I like to stay under 55

Also.. I had to change GPU.. had an old AGP (Nvidia 7600) now I am on a Radeon x700... can't really tell if it's causing problems though.... this new setup, with 3GB RAM (6 seen anyway) and the i7 chip and all that... seems to run the same as my old P3 rig... perhaps something is bogging down that I forgot? I re-formatted... and on xp pro (32 bit sadly, for now)

Something is holding your system back if it feels the same as a p3 did.

What hard drive are you using?

Also.. I had to change GPU.. had an old AGP (Nvidia 7600) now I am on a Radeon x700... can't really tell if it's causing problems though.... this new setup, with 3GB RAM (6 seen anyway) and the i7 chip and all that... seems to run the same as my old P3 rig... perhaps something is bogging down that I forgot? I re-formatted... and on xp pro (32 bit sadly, for now)

The x700 is holding you back. You have all Modern Technology except for the discontinued video card. And buy that 920 a nice cooler while your at it :D

I was kinda hoping it was that simple, but dreading if it were actually that.

My job cut hours, mine drastically, I work 1 day a week now for a while, so affording a Case and GPU is going to be rough. I wanna push Case first... even though this GPU bogs me down, as during stress tests and gaming I hit critical cpu temps (60-65, but the default critical is 77C, I just though that was way too high so I knocked it down to 60)

I took out the exhaust I had put in, and the CPU dropped 3C MB didn't change- it was definately a air flow restriction more then a help.

Harddrive is a Seagate Barricuda (.11 version) 1TB sata 32mb cache blah blah- i hardly doubt it is bogged this much due to a 4 hdd partition. (C--windows D--programs such as antivirus E-games F- downloads (this way any virus hitting can be wiped.)

Web pages, web based games and images take what feels like "forever" to load, although I do believe they do it faster then my P3 version. Browsing things on my harddrive I can hear some fan or revving kick up- unsure if its the HDD or the Graphics or whatever, but it causes momentary delay, a lot.

7-zipping/unzipping is definately faster however, as transfering all my files from jumpdrives and such was rather quick and unzipping didn't take any time at all.

Loading the tech forums here, this page, took 45 seconds. I don't know what's bogging me down... is it just GPU? maybe some setting is wrong?

well theres not many fans actually. there is no front intake, no exhaust units at all (back or top) and the side fan is set to intake, which seemed to work better since I believe the CPU is set to pull air down on the CPU through the heatsink to keep it cooled, which means the side fan is pullin air in, and the cpu fan is pulling it directly to the cpu.

The back mesh for exhaust on this unit is very tiny, it blocks more airflow then anything (very old case)

it is about 22C in my room right now, and snow is outside, so I am worried for this summer's temps (we easily go into 35+C range)

The micro fan on the GPu is set to blow toward the side door.. which .. is odd..

This site taking 45 seconds to load has nothing to do with your gpu. Try deleting your temporary internet files. After that it's probably just your ISP or your location.

well theres not many fans actually. there is no front intake, no exhaust units at all (back or top) and the side fan is set to intake, which seemed to work better since I believe the CPU is set to pull air down on the CPU through the heatsink to keep it cooled, which means the side fan is pullin air in, and the cpu fan is pulling it directly to the cpu.

The back mesh for exhaust on this unit is very tiny, it blocks more airflow then anything (very old case)

it is about 22C in my room right now, and snow is outside, so I am worried for this summer's temps (we easily go into 35+C range)

The micro fan on the GPu is set to blow toward the side door.. which .. is odd..

You should try to get a front intake and a back exhaust, that would probably be the best I think. Or maybe try your side intake and a top exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom