Criticize my first build

Status
Not open for further replies.

iced_tea

Beta member
This is the first time i'm going to be buying seperate components and building them, so I was wondering if you guys could check my potential build over so I don't end up making silly mistakes on component choices and wasting money.

The computer will be used for gaming among the usual things (audio + video playing, web browsing etc.).

I was aiming for about £400-£500 but I went over my budget and now it's at £700.

If there are any cheaper component alternatives, better components for the same price, any incompatible components or even components i've missed out please let me know. Any input is appreciated. :)

Second updated build:

7e3a00buildthree.jpg

Links to components:

Antec Nine Hundred 900 - Gaming Case with 200mm Top Fan - No PSU - Ebuyer

OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU - SLI Ready ATX2.2 12cm Fan - Ebuyer

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz Socket 775 1066MHz FSB 3MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor - Ebuyer

XFX Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (HD-485X-YDFC)

Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 PC2-6400C5 TwinX (2x2GB)

Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (WD1600AAJS)

MSI P43 Neo-F iP43 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard - Ebuyer

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English - Ebuyer

Samsung SyncMaster SM923NW 19" TFT Monitor 1440x900 300cd/m2 1000:1 5ms 16:9 VGA Silver 3 Years Warranty - Ebuyer

Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Desktop EX 110 - USB/PS2 - Ebuyer

Samsung SH-S223F/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM

That is really not a bad build at all.....if you are a gamer...and could squeeze in a 9800GTX+ or an 4850 video card....you really will not be sorry, especially running at that resolution of your monitor.....it is not necessary....but you would not be sorry.

You may be able to get a better power supply...maybe a corsair or pc power & cooling....again, it is not really necessary however.

Enjoy your new pc.

Ever since Seagate had the issue with the firmware and they're hard drives failing all over the world, I will not buy another one. I have 2, 1TB drives for them now and I'm lucky that Seagate replaced BOTH when the drives became bricks after the firmware locked up, But I lost my data on both of them.

So my recommendation is Western Digital for your HDD.
Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (WD1600AAJS)

I would also say go with the E5200... best bang for the buck, and the 1 GBP you save on this, you can put towards your HDD. :p
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 "LGA775 Core 2" 2.50GHz (800FSB) - Retail

The e5200 is £57 from scan where you can pick up a coolermaster 690 for £65. I will second Nukem on the HDD, get a samsung or WD. Also that is not a great price on the 9800GT, I recently got 2 EVGA 9800GTX from novatech and they were £91 each.

Thanks for the input everyone!

The e5200 is £57 from scan where you can pick up a coolermaster 690 for £65. I will second Nukem on the HDD, get a samsung or WD. Also that is not a great price on the 9800GT, I recently got 2 EVGA 9800GTX from novatech and they were £91 each.

Isn't the E5300 better though? I wouldn't mind forking out a fiver for an extra .1GHz per core. Also that price is the best price I could find for a 9800 GT. Prices have probably gone up due to recession or something:

evga 9800 gt - Google Search

Thanks for the input everyone!

Isn't the E5300 better though? I wouldn't mind forking out a fiver for an extra .1GHz per core. Also that price is the best price I could find for a 9800 GT. Prices have probably gone up due to recession or something:

evga 9800 gt - Google Search

You're right, even though I only ordered them about a week ago they are no longer there. That's unlucky.

The E5200 is a dayum good chip. Mines clocked at 3.25Ghz with no extra volts. I've got it to 3.8Ghz before..

Does this forum usually sign you out after a short period of time?

Anyway, is swapping the E5300 for a E7300 or E7400 a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom