Graphics card ideas on upgrade for GT 5228

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backsight

Beta member
Hello to all and also my man Trottman.

I just inherited an alright PC that want to make into a mid-performance gaming rig for my friends to us and rig to bring to LAN parties.

The rig I was given that I want to upgrade is a Gateway GT5228, not the best the price was right, free. Specs are at the bottom of the page.

I am looking to upgrade is graphics card. The thing that is limiting me in my mind is the fact that there is no PCI-Express ×16 2.0 slot.

My question:
Any ideas of what PCI-Express ×16 graphics card I should get that is reasonable in price (under $100)??

I was looking at something like the following but it is always good to hear what others think:
XFX GeForce 8500 GT Ultra Silent Cooling Video Card - 512MB DDR2, SLI Ready, PCI Express 1.0 x16, (Dual Link) DVI, VGA, HDTV PVT86JYAHG at TigerDirect.com

Thanks for the help in advance.

Specs on hardware:
Gateway Support - Components list for 1009153

Specifications
Part Number: 1009153Gateway GT5228 Media Center Computer
Model: GT5228

Following are the specifications for the Gateway® GT5228 Media Center computer.

Feature Specification
Processor AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 4200+ dual-core processor with AMD64 Technology

* 2.2 GHz
* 2000 MHz system bus
* L2 cache: 512 KB ×2

# Memory Installed: 2048 MB DDR2 533 MHz (PC4200) (two 1024 MB modules)
# Expandable to: 4 GB
Video Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 graphics
Up to 128 MB of shared video memory
Audio Integrated 8-Channel (7.l) High Definition Audio
Hard Drive 250 GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA II hard drive with 8 MB cache)
Optical Drive Double layer 16X DVD+/-RW drive

* Write max: 16X DVD-/+R, 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 4X DVD+R DL, 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW.
* Read max: 16X DVD-ROM, 40X CD-ROM

Media Reader 9-in-1 Digital Media Manager supporting the following:

* CompactFlash Card
* IBM MicroDrive
* Memory Stick
* Memory Stick Pro
* SmartMedia Card
* Secure Digital(SD)/MMC
* Compact Flash
* Multimedia Card
* xD-Picture Card
* USB 2.0 or later

Modem 56K ITU V.92 ready Fax/Modem
Network Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
Power Supply 300 watt
# Interfaces PS/2 keyboard port
# PS/2 mouse port
# Seven USB 2.0 ports (four on rear panel, two on front panel, one in media reader)
# Two IEEE-1394 connectors (both on front-panel)
# One parallel port
# One VGA monitor port
# One RJ-45 LAN port
# Eight audio jacks (six on rear panel, two on front panel)
# Add-In Card Slots One PCI-Express ×16
# One PCI-E ×1
# Two PCI Conventional
# Drive Bays Two external 3.5-inch
# Two external 5.25-inch
# Two internal 3.5-inch
# Input Devices Multimedia keyboard
# USB optical mouse
Speakers Amplified, USB powered stereo speakers
Dimensions (H × W × D) 15.4 × 7.3 × 17.9 inches
Weight 23.5 lbs (computer only, no packaging)

Link to find more info if needed:
Gateway Support - 1009153*Gateway GT5228 Media Center Computer

PCI-E x16 2.0 cards will work in PCI-E x16 1.0 slots. The only difference in the theoretical bandwidth. Current cards don't really hit the maximum available bandwidth, so there's no real difference. :D

So mainly what we need to know is what is your available budget? A beefy GFX card will require a beefy PSU, as you currently have a 300W.

Another possibility includes a better CPU for it. Since it is an AM2, you could easily upgrade it (unlike my 939).

DDR2 has gotten extremely cheap, so you could also pump up your RAM. Your motherboard has four DIMM slots, so you could grab a 2x1gig kit and drop them right in there (XP 32-bit can only utilize 3.5 gig, but that's an extra 1.5 gig above what you currently have).

Go with a 4830. Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100265HDMI Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

The 4830 has 640 stream processors compared to the 320 of the 4670. It also uses a 256bit memory interface over the 128bit that the 4670 does.

If you do choose either the 4670 or the 4830, you will have to upgrade your power supply. You could go with the 8500GT and not have to upgrade the power supply, but it will not hold up against either card.

well, the 4670 does not need a 6pin power connector like the 4830 does. and the op never said he was doing any hard core gaming or stuff like that.

PCI-E x16 2.0 cards will work in PCI-E x16 1.0 slots. The only difference in the theoretical bandwidth. Current cards don't really hit the maximum available bandwidth, so there's no real difference. :D

So mainly what we need to know is what is your available budget? A beefy GFX card will require a beefy PSU, as you currently have a 300W.

Another possibility includes a better CPU for it. Since it is an AM2, you could easily upgrade it (unlike my 939).

DDR2 has gotten extremely cheap, so you could also pump up your RAM. Your motherboard has four DIMM slots, so you could grab a 2x1gig kit and drop them right in there (XP 32-bit can only utilize 3.5 gig, but that's an extra 1.5 gig above what you currently have).

Hey thanks guy for all the helpful info. I didn't know that PCI-E x16 2.0 cards will work in PCI-E x16 1.0 slots.

Aaaaa yes the good old or not so good PSU, darn wimpy 300w PSU.

I will also up the RAM in time but I think the biggest thing is the graphic card.

At most I think I am looking to spend $100 on the card. At most I think I want to play COD5 or something like it ( game requirements: Shader 3.0 or better, 256MB Nvidia GeForce 6600GT/ATI Radeon 1600XT) , not looking to play Crysis on high res or something.

Well with this newly obtained info I will go on a new hunt to see what I can come up with and then maybe post again for thoughts or ideas. Thanks again guys.

Looks like I will need to spend a little less on the card and a little more over all with the PSU upgrade. Not sure if I can slide with a $50-75 card and get the cheapest PSU needed to power the card. Any ideas would be splendid. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom