i7 and other Temp ranges..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
What are "ideal" cool ranges for this new Intel i7 and motherboard I have?

Core i7-920 2.66 GHz
ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard

Probe II (comes with mobo) readout indicates MB is at 40C CPU 40C doing this typing and average, in game the MB has hit 45 and the CPU has it 53, although I only played for a few minutes and have yet to go for Hard playing, just wanted to know some ranges.

The case is old, has NO exhaust fan at all, I have been monitoring it very, VERY carefully, and not leaving it on unattended. (so I doubt the CPU has had its 'burn in' time yet)

The range you are in is fine. I would get a real temp as another check to verify the numbers that asus probe is giving you. Run a stress test like prime95 or intel burn test to really stress the system to see max temps you are getting.

If you temps running prime are over 60c I would consider getting better cooling. Also +1 to using real temp, it's generally the best utility for monitoring the temps of 45nm Intel cpu's.

I wouldn't run Intel burn test if cooling is a concern because it causes the cpu to run hotter than any other program.

Ill try the prime95 thing then I guess, something is odd.

I added a exhaust fan to this case, and the temps shot UP? Should I leave it as it is now, or take it back out? CPU is now 41 idle and MB is 43. I've seen them go to 43/45 without doing much though.

only thing I can think of is the air is being forced in/out too quickly and not going through the CPU heatsink like it was.

This is just a temp case, I plan to get the CM HAF (932 i believe.. can never remember that number) so cooling in the future shouldn't be an issue.

Also.. I had to change GPU.. had an old AGP (Nvidia 7600) now I am on a Radeon x700... can't really tell if it's causing problems though.... this new setup, with 3GB RAM (6 seen anyway) and the i7 chip and all that... seems to run the same as my old P3 rig... perhaps something is bogging down that I forgot? I re-formatted... and on xp pro (32 bit sadly, for now)

Real Temp 3.0 Reads:
temps.jpg

With the HAF your temps should go down. That case is massive and has great airflow. Your temps aren't good, but your in a case that have poor airflow so they are acceptable given the circumstances.

What temps am I lookin for would be a better question, this way when the new case is ordered and it's put in, I won't have to ask again ^.^

i7_roundup-033.jpg

This is a chart from legit reviews for i7 cooling. You are doing pretty good as is, but that may be because you have speed step enabled. A better case and better cooler never hurt.

It is a cool little feature intel chips have that lowers the speed of your cpu when you aren't doing anything major to save on power and produce less heat. You can disable that in the BIOS. It comes in really handy on laptops, but on desktops its mostly an annoyance.

Woah, 74 under load on stock settings? i7 is on fire........ literally.

Luckily it can get decent over clocks with a fairly low Vcore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom