please give me some advice/opinions on this i7 920 build I want to get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered an Asus Video card this year that wasn't sealed, has performed flawlessly though.

Thanks !
Yes, I also heard from other replies that apparently Asus doesn't sela their motherboards.

I received the last delvery today, which is the RAM, the DVD burners and another HDD.

Now I will start putting it together, well at least I will try. A bit scary, since I have never done that before.

One question: I tried to get an antistatic wristband, but no store I went to had them. How do I ground myself the best way? Do I need to touch the radiator or the waterpipes in my house every 10 mins or so? Or more often?

From what I have read in other posts, you should be fine as long as you touch the metal case or some other metal source before grabbing your components. Also, you might want to assemble your system on a wooden floor or something other than carpet if possible. So how many hard drives total are you using?
-Pure

From what I have read in other posts, you should be fine as long as you touch the metal case or some other metal source before grabbing your components. Also, you might want to assemble your system on a wooden floor or something other than carpet if possible. So how many hard drives total are you using?
-Pure

Thanks !

Yes, I guess it went ok by touching the radiator of my heating every few minutes. I put everything together yesterday, I also connected most of the cables, still gotta work on the cables management, which seems to be a tough one.
I got three HDDs : 2x 1 TB (I want to set them up RAID 1 I think) and 1 x 640GB (for the OS, programs and games):)

Did you go with the HAF 932?
I am also working on an I7 build myself. In the research phase and will probably start ordering parts in the next few days here. What has the build experience been like for you so far? I know that I am going to need a lot of help when I get to the assembly phase. When you gonna post some pics?
-Pure

Did you go with the HAF 932?
I am also working on an I7 build myself. In the research phase and will probably start ordering parts in the next few days here. What has the build experience been like for you so far? I know that I am going to need a lot of help when I get to the assembly phase. When you gonna post some pics?
-Pure

Yes, I got the HAF 932, it's great, and so far it's been easy to work with (well for me that is, tkae into consideration it's my first build and I have no experience with other cases.)

The experience has bee great. If you need any help, I would be happy to help as far as I can, I'm a noob myself, I got help from the forums, too :)

Yes, I should take some pics, I haven't so far. Still gotta solved that mess with the cables. I ahve seen pictures of build where the builder did such a great job with the cable management, but I know I won't get it to look that neat. So many cables coming out of the PSU alone.

But the case has good options for running cables outside of the inner box/case and back in at another point closer to connection, so cables can be stowed away from the inside parts.

What parts have you decided on already? Do you have a thread on your build?

And back to the grounding issue: it really wasn't as big of a deal as I initially that it would be.

Yep.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/please-help-core-i7-build-200938/
I think I am pretty much going to go with everything listed at the end of the thread. The people here have been really helpful as I am sure you already know. I've been holding out the past few days as I have thought about additional items I want in the case. Got those questions mostly answered here:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/strobes-leds-cathodes-upgrades-201448/

I am hearing that some of the wiring is too short from the PSU to the components due to the HAF 932 layout. Have you had any problems with that? Have you had to use any extensions?
-Pure

Except the gtx 295. Pretty sure I am going to go with the gtx 285 for now.

The build in my sig was also my first time. It took me a couple of hours to set it up. Most of the time was spent on wire management though and checking the mobo and case manuals to find out where all the wires go.

Grounded myself only once by touching the radiator. Components these days are pretty resistant to static but it doesn't hurts to be save.
What I did for wire management was route all the psu wires to the back of the mobo tray. When I researched the best way for wire management, that was basically what everyone does to get it nice and tidy.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/rate-wire-management-above-you-150446/index199.html#post1602644

Yep.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/please-help-core-i7-build-200938/
I think I am pretty much going to go with everything listed at the end of the thread. The people here have been really helpful as I am sure you already know. I've been holding out the past few days as I have thought about additional items I want in the case. Got those questions mostly answered here:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/strobes-leds-cathodes-upgrades-201448/

I am hearing that some of the wiring is too short from the PSU to the components due to the HAF 932 layout. Have you had any problems with that? Have you had to use any extensions?
-Pure

Except the gtx 295. Pretty sure I am going to go with the gtx 285 for now.

Thanks for those links, I will take a look. Curious to see what you are going to build.

I had no problems with cable lenght other than cables being too long to stow away properly. Did not need to use any extensions.
I still need to try improving my cable management, not sure if it's ok yet.

The build in my sig was also my first time. It took me a couple of hours to set it up. Most of the time was spent on wire management though and checking the mobo and case manuals to find out where all the wires go.

Grounded myself only once by touching the radiator. Components these days are pretty resistant to static but it doesn't hurts to be save.
What I did for wire management was route all the psu wires to the back of the mobo tray. When I researched the best way for wire management, that was basically what everyone does to get it nice and tidy.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/rate-wire-management-above-you-150446/index199.html#post1602644

Thanks !

Yes, same here, most time spent on checking where what goes. And cable management (which I'm not done with yet).

I think the very hardest part (for me at least) is yet to come which is setting up the BIOS and installing the OS and all the drives (noe of which I have ever done before).

I will have to do that either late tonight or tomorrow. Can't work on it now.:(

UPDATE :

This is the first message on this board that I'm typing on my new PC :):D:cool:

Everything went fine, the building, eventually even the cable management and also the installation of windows XP and setting up a RAID 1. The latter two didn't go smoothly at first, but with the help of you guys on this forum I was able to solve the problems.

I'm SOOOO glad that I listened to all of you when you told me a few weeks ago to build it myself, because not only did I save some $ by doing so, but much mroe important, I learned a lot and have been having so much fun in the process.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, GUYS !!!!:)

Right now I'm waiting for the 2nd partition of the HDD to be formatted then I will install my first game Far Cry 2 :cool:

I would actually like to add in that my DVD drive has seemed sluggish recently, taking a while to "spin up" and load AutoRun Discs (even CDs) so perhaps avoid that one. If a few extra seconds to work it don't bother you then it'll be fine, I only really notice when I put a disc in to install a game, and nothing happens for a good.. 10 seconds. Then usually I go in and double click the icon to Auto Run, could be my settings I guess, although I haven't changed them.

I know this was a bit late for your rig, but if you notice sluggish (and bought the one I did) we might look into the drive details together and find out if it's something else

Then again I have Chaotic Luck in life, so it could just be mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom