Transfering files from one HDD to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stguy045

Beta member
Recently my hard drive became defective on me. Because having a working computer is so important to me, I installed an old 8 GB hard drive for temporary usage. Since then I have reinstalled all my drivers and collected the basics of my most used programs (this is the part of reinstalling that is a pain in the ***). Now that my new hard drive from newegg just came in, I was wondering what would be the best way to switch primary drives. I want to use this new one as my one and only drive, so im taking the old 8GB. Is there anyway I can save/transfer my programs,drivers and other software to this new drive? I know I'm going to have to reinstall windows, I just want to know if I can save all my other software.

Thanks,

St

Norton Ghost (transfers only data) or Acronis True Image (tries to tranfer empty space as well I believe). I've used Ghost, and I can vouge that it works fantastically.

No; that would negate the point of using either program ;). They're meant so you can either make backups of your entire drive, or clone one drive to another. Used Ghost just this last week on a work PC as well. No programs had to be reinstalled, Windows didn't have to be reactivated or anything. Cloned, unhooked old drive, booted off of new drive, and worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom