Weird...

Status
Not open for further replies.

xkrisx

Solid State Member
So I just installed Windows XP onto my computer. Previous to that I had Windows 2000 NT. I installed Windows 98 before loading XP on it, since the XP edition I have wouldn't support 2000 upgrades. I performed a new installation in hopes that it would wipe everything from my C drive inorder to start anew. I also thought it this installation would get rid off my old OS (Windows 2000 NT). I was wrong. It kept everything aswell as Windows 2000 NT. So now I have two OS and a full C drive. I tried formatting my C drive while on XP, but everytime I try I get this window: "Windows cannot formatt this drive. Quit any disk utilities or programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again." I made sure there was nothing of that sort open, yet the same window still opens every time I try to formatt the drive. I just want ONE OS (XP) and everything GONE, to start fresh. Please someone help me!

P.S. - I apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum.

XP cd is bootable. Make your cd rom bootable before your HDD and reboot. Follow prompts and reinstall xp. One of the options is fresh install instead of upgrade. Go from there and follow prompts

Boot from your Windows XP CD and clear all your partitions and do an NTFS format from there. Most people don't realize that you can indeed do a fresh installation of Windows XP from an upgrade edition CD. All it will do is ask you for your Windows 98 CD so you can prove to Bill Gates that you qualify for the ugrade.

beedubaya said:
Boot from your Windows XP CD and clear all your partitions and do an NTFS format from there. Most people don't realize that you can indeed do a fresh installation of Windows XP from an upgrade edition CD. All it will do is ask you for your Windows 98 CD so you can prove to Bill Gates that you qualify for the ugrade.

How do I clear all my partitions?

I also failed to mention that whenever I reboot my computer with the XP disc, it doesn't do anything other than give me 3 options before it starts up: "Windows 2000" "Windows XP" "Windows". Once I put the disc in when I'm logged on, though, the menu screen pops up giving me these choices: "Install Windows XP", "Install other Windows components", "Perform additional tasks", and "Check system compatibility". I click on "Install Windows XP". That gives me two options; "Upgrade (recommended)" and "New Installation", which is the one I go for, but somehow its not really getting rid anything.

beedubaya said:
Like I said above, most people don't realize that you CAN do a fresh install from an XP upgrade CD.

I understand, but I'm really lost when it comes to formatting my C drive. I want everything gone to start fresh. I was hoping starting a new XP installation would help that, but I was wrong.

You have the option to format your drive using NTFS when installing after booting from the CD.....choose that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom