Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

elp

Baseband Member
I'm trying to help a friend network 2 of his pcs togethor both running XP. There is a NIC installed in one pci slot for one and the other uses the motherboard version. Both connected via single cat5 cable. I have used the setup process to make them connect and that went through ok. The IP address of each is different and subnet the same. They still do not seem to pick up on each other though.. Ideas anyone?

You cant use a simple patch cable to hook the two pc's up. You need either a crossover cable, or a switch/router/hub.

standard cat5 cable and i need to share a net connection.. wrong cable? I just figured its a patch cable

Yeh i made that mistake when i tryied to link my x box to my pc and use ICS. the ethernet card just said network cable unplugged all the time.

First, your going to need a crossover cable. They look exactly the same as a regular cat5 cable, its just the wires in the end are in different possitons. Just go to CompUSA or something and ask fora Crossover cable. Second, how is the internet being run? Is it broadband runninng through an internal modem, is it dial up, or is it an exterior modem? First let me say that this is a lot easier if your using a hub, router or a switch. But what your going to want to to is make sure both computers are on the same Workgroup, you can see what workgroup the two systems are running on by going into the System Properties of My Computer. If they are running on differen Workgroups, then your going to have to go through the connection wizard in My Network Places. Through that you can determine how the network is running, whether it be through a Hub, or a Direct Connection. If your are using an Internal Modem, or if the modem is external and is running directly into one of the PC's, that computer should be able to act as a Router for the Internet Connection, and the Wizard should give you the option to share the connection. If it doesn't you can easily go into the network connection properties an enable Internet Connetion Sharing. Note, the computer to which the Internet is directly connected MUST be on for the connection to be shared across the network, unless you get a Router. Now that you have finished the Wizard, Windows may or may not ask to be rebooted. Then go back into My Network Places, click on Workgroups and hit search up top. Then search for the other computer your trying to network. You can find the computers name by also going in the the System Properties of My Computer. The way you want to enter the computers name for the search is with //NAME HERE, and then you should see the computer on the list. Also when you do finally get the thing networked your going to want to go into Internet Explore and changes the Connection Settings to Never Dial a Connection. Blah I hope this helps this was a lot of typing, if you need more help, just ask. I am hoping what I wrote is correct. :D

uh oh another problem- My friend got the cat5e cable (crossover?) cable to replace the standard cat5 cable (patch?). The cat5e says on the cable gigabit ethernet patch cable although when purchased it was advertised as crossover. The damn link between the 2 pcs still isn't working. One is running Marvel Yukon Gigabit ethernet on the mobo the other is running Davicom 9102/A fast ethernet adaptor pci. What am I doing wrong? The IP is different and subnet same.

Is it that gigabit ethernet is not compatible with fast ethernet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom