New problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddy44

Baseband Member
The computer starts up sometimes, but when it starts up it gets to the windows xp screen it loads for a second then restarts everytime. Anyone have any ideas? It will start in safe mode.

Could be a driver problem if it loads up in safe mode. After your BIOS screen comes up,and befor ethe XP logo comes up, press F8 until a boot menu comes up. Should be an option that says "Disable automatic restart on system failure." Select that, and let it go. You can also do this from within Safe Mode by doing this: Start > right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > under Startup and Recovery click 'Settings' > Uncheck the box that says "Automatically restart" > click OK on all open dialog boxes. Let us know if you get a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death), and post the following info:

The words in all caps at the top (for example: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL)
the STOP error code at the bottom (formatted assuch: 0x000000## where ## = some alphanumeric combination)
Any reference to a driver file (usually a file name that ends in .sys)

Also visit this link to figure out what it is yourself if you wish:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-troubleshoot-specific-stop-errors-193301/

I put in new ram like two days ago, but thats about it. Yesterday it was running fine, then right when i was about to shut it off it restarted on its own and now wont get passed the windows xp screen

Carnage, i did that, and it got to my desktop and it was going good then restarted. No bsod

first remove the new ram that you installed. then see if it will boot in to windows.

then run memtest86 overnight to test all of the ram for errors.

first remove the new ram that you installed. then see if it will boot in to windows.

then run memtest86 overnight to test all of the ram for errors.

How long does that test take, i'm trying to get my comp up and running so i can use it (= ha ha.

well it's best to let it do at least 4 or 5 passess, this can take like 8-12hours, hence why i said overnight. first take out the ram you installed and see if it boots.

Take it out as in with no ram, or try different ram?

Could be a driver problem if it loads up in safe mode. After your BIOS screen comes up,and befor ethe XP logo comes up, press F8 until a boot menu comes up. Should be an option that says "Disable automatic restart on system failure." Select that, and let it go. You can also do this from within Safe Mode by doing this: Start > right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > under Startup and Recovery click 'Settings' > Uncheck the box that says "Automatically restart" > click OK on all open dialog boxes. Let us know if you get a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death), and post the following info:

The words in all caps at the top (for example: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL)
the STOP error code at the bottom (formatted assuch: 0x000000## where ## = some alphanumeric combination)
Any reference to a driver file (usually a file name that ends in .sys)

Also visit this link to figure out what it is yourself if you wish:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-troubleshoot-specific-stop-errors-193301/

When i tried to do it in safe mode, i clicked on the start up and recovery settings and it said, "The C:\boot.ini file con not be opened. Operating System and Timeout Settings can not be changed."

Have you tried hitting F8 to get teh Advanced boot menu and selecting Last Known Good Configuration?

with my old computer i had

i had to restart the computer 5 or 6 times just for it to boot up as it keept saying there was no video sync does yours do this as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom