Need to buy cheapest but "bestest" computer to work at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

LauraAranda

Beta member
Hi everybody!

I lost my job in the recession :mad:and I have to start working at home "real" soon (next week :eek:). I therefore need a good computer, capable to handle simultaneously several different tasks.

However, I'm pretty broke :(and I dispose of very little :money: to buy a computer. I prefer however a new one, in order to avoid "hidden vices".

While I work, I need to open the following programs:

- Either Word, WordPerfect or PowerPoint
- Between 5 and 8 different Internet windows:rolleyes:
- Outlook Express
- Perhaps use a voice recognition program (dictaphone?)

- It would be fantastic if I could also watch and listen to music on YouTube while I am working :D. (Is this going to be very expensive?

Is it really necessary to buy a desktop for all this, or is a laptop sufficient :confused:? I was told that Dell are the best value, but I don't know which one to buy :eek:???

I hope some of you can help me and thank those who do!

:love: Laura

Re: Need to buy cheapest but "bettest" computer to work at home

IMO you should get a desktop unless you need the portability because desktops are more comfortable to use and if something like the keyboard goes wrong you can just get a new one. Dell may or may not be the best value but I think that HPs look better and Packard Bell (are they still around?) use quality parts (or at least they used to).

What computer do you have at the moment? you could probably reduce your memory usage simply by using firefox, opera or even IE7 rather than having 5-8 separate windows open.

To save money, a desktop is the way to go.

Newegg.com - COMPAQ Presario SR5710F(FQ582AA) Athlon X2 4450e(2.3GHz) 3GB DDR2 250GB NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Windows Vista Home Premium - Desktop PCs

This would fit your needs easily, and it's available at walmart, so you should be able to pick it up same day. (Edit : Not sold in stores)

(Edit 2 : Compaq - Presario Desktop with AMD Athlon™ X2 4450e+ Dual-Core Processor - SR5710Y It is available at Best Buy, so maybe they would have some in stock. It's a slightly different model, but almost exactly the same.)

Check out Dell's Vostro line. Vostro Desktops Vostro Laptops

While Vostro is one of their business lines, anyone can buy them. just put your name in when it asks for what business when ordering. Just be sure to upgrade the operating system to Home Premium, as Home Basic is just that... basic. ;)

For MS Office, if you, your husband, or your child(ren) are students, you can get MS Office 2007 Ultimate for $59.99. The site explains the details. Basically, one of you has to have a .EDU email address or be able to show proof that you are in school, such as a schedule. http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx

Vista has Voice Recognition already built into it. Since most PC's come with Vista now you will have a decent Voice Recgonition program installed by Default.

Office will be your best bet. Trotter already gave that info. But if that is not a option, OpenOffice.

IE comes installed but i would suggest Firefox or Opera. ;)

As long as the system comes with around 2GB of RAM and Vista Home Premium you should be alright. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom