RogueSeven

In Runtime
Greets,

my current specs:

Intel DX38BT Mobo
intel q6600 @ 2.8 ghz
corsair ddr3 1333 (2 gigs)
Sapphire 4850 1 gig

so i was thinking about grabbing another sapphire 4850 1 gig but im not sure if i would see decent performance increase in video games. ive also heard bad things about crossfire compared to sli. some things like Open GL games dont support it so it will automatically go to scissors mode....well, im not exactly sure what open GL games are, is that like directx? so if i was on windows would i have to worry about that?

i would also like to know what other potential "risks" i could be taking if i went crossfire. i believe i have a sufficient power supply (corsair 650 watt).

one other thing im curious about but not too sure about is would i end up with a 4850x2 basically? i dont think so but again, im not sure.

Just stick with one 4850. At that resolution it isn't worth adding another in Crossfire and you wouldn't see huge difference. I'd say if you're running a 1900x1200 resolution or above, then it would benefit.

cool, im just gonna save and wait until the next iteration of GPUs comes out from nvidia and ati, see which one is better. im currently reading this

about ati's "4750" where they are shrinking to 40nm then they have 128-bit GDDR5 memory. apparently it has performance similar to a 4850 but would only be like about 100 USD, if not less
It features a 128-bit wide bus using GDDR5 memory, bumping up bandwidth that rivals equally clocked GDDR3 with double the bus width. Very interesting.

i wonder if ATI will do something similar with the (not sure if this is right but w.e) 4900 series.

2x 4850 is pointless for a 17" monitor, the 4850 you have is probably overkill as it is.

4670 is probably the card you should be looking at.

But I guess it's worth waiting for the 4770 if your patient enough.

^ ?? He already has a 4850, and is questioning if he needs another for crossfire. Plus 4670 is a lot slower than a 4850.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom