New RAM won't run at advertised specs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcovalt

In Runtime
First off, wow! This isn't the tech-forums look that I used to know! I like it!

Now, I bought some new RAM (Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory) put the voltage at 2.1 set the timings right (5-5-5-15), but it won't post if the mhz goes over ~925.

Is it because my mobo (Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards) sucks and can't handle RAM at such frequencies? Or is the RAM bad?

One thing I was curious about is if the "Advance Memory Timings" are off, maybe too tight, for the high mhz, but I'm a n00b at this stuff and don't know how to set it right.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

P.S.: I just ran the ram at the advertised tighter timings at 800mhz (4-4-4-12) and it won't post either. :angry:

it your mobo bios set to the right voltage for the ram? It might default at a lower level and you need to bump it up a little, to reach the specs you want.

have you tried one stick to see if it posts first? (then the other to make sure your ram's not bad) then you might have to bump it down to maybe 1.9? or up to 2.2? sometimes ram is kinds finicky about what it needs.

ok. I'll try to bump it down. 2.2v makes me a little nervous. But I'll try that too. I'll post back with results! :)

are you sure the mobo supports frequencies that high?

i only checked the newegg link, it shows

Number of Memory Slots 2×240pin
Memory Standard DDR2 800
Maximum Memory Supported 4GB
Channel Supported Dual Channel

not sure if it states somewhere else for higher frequency ram or not.

This is a serious WTH situation.

Posts at 2.2v and 1.9v but freezes at the BIOS making me having to manually clear the CMOS. After I tried I booted back up into the 800mhz 5-5-5-15 settings.

But now my NIC is acting up (who knows if it's related) so, yeah, I'm getting annoyed.

What say you of this situation?

EDIT: to above post. Gigabyte's spec link: GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-G31M-S2L
says: Support for DDR2 1066(O.C.) gah! I hate being confused.

the first thing I would do it make sure the system posts and you have no other issues. As long as the ram will work for now, is fine. If it runs slower the advertised, then so-be-it for now... but I would make sure my whle machine runs first, then start to tweak it.

Edit, but yes, the mobo will probably limit your high specs, as tastegw pointed out.

i did. I've been running solid at stock for quite some time.

As for other issues, as of five minutes ago, now my NIC is being a jerk.

*EDIT* fixed lan problem. not sure what that was all about. Anyway, still no luck with the RAM :(

I feel stupid...

My mobo's "default" ddr overvoltage setting puts the ram at spec settings automatically. +.1v makes it like 2.1v'ish. So setting it at default seems to be working! thanks for the help man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom