New build won't post

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazulilasher

Beta member
Hi all:

First: this is my first post, and its about my first build...so I'm a noob :)

Anyway, the sysem I'm trying to build will not post. When I hit the power on, the PSU fan starts up, the LED on the front of the case (from a lead on the motherboard) lights up...and then everything turns off. It does not attempt to restartr--it just shuts down.

Here's what I have:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66Ghz Socket 775 CPU
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular Power Supply
Masscool 8WA741 CPU FAN w/Heat Pipes 775
PNY nForce 630i GeForce 7150 Socket 775 Motherboard
Kingston 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x2048)
Seagate 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G

It doesn't start with that. I've tried without the RAM, without the harddrive: still no dice. I've also swapped out the PSU.

Anyone have any ideas?

Double check your cpu heatsink. Double check your cabling (reset/power switch). Unplug the usb headers, the audio headers and so on. Make sure the mobo isn't grounding out on a misplaced stand-off.

Ya, I tried to boot it out of the case, so I don't think its a standoff. It won't even start to power up if there's only the cpu/fan/power/power button lead connected.

I notice that the 24 pin connector does not seem to seat properly. On one end: it sticks up a little bit, and will not go all the way into the slot....I can't tell if a pin is bent, though, because its too hard to see. Would this be it? If so, why would the fans start up at all?

I'm getting that feeling. It's not the 4 pin part (the smaller one) which is having the problem--that portion sits fine. The 20 pin piece, however, does not attach correctly to the mobo. The same problem occurs with a different PSU.

My only concern is: would the fans still work? The CPU fan definitely starts up. It just only stays on for about 1 1/2 second.

If someone could advise that it is likely the 20/24 connector...I guess I'll have to RMA the board.

Ok, I'm going to give it a try again tommorow. I pushed fairly hard the last few times that I gave it a try. But, we'll see! Thanks for the help! Any other ideas are much appreciated.

I would also add that the 20pin portion does sit properly on one end. So, one end will attach...but the other won't. Who knows...I'm going to give it one more good try tommorow. If that doesn't work, I'll see about sending the motherboard back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom