About adding RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack32

Solid State Member
I recently bought 3 1gb sticks of ram. However, the slots in my computer are in different colors, it's black blue black blue. My computer only works if 2 blacks or 2 blues are used, it can't be 2 blacks 1 blue or 2 blues 1 black. Is there a reason for this? I can only use 2 sticks, in slots that are the same color or my computer makes that long beeping noise. Is there a solution?

So I have to have the same stick in all the slots? I have to choose between having 1, 2 or 4 sticks?

Depending on the mobo, yes that would be the case. but for duel channel ram it needs to be paired, but you can get away with 3 sticks of the same kind, maybe different makers and run fine. but if you use DDR2 800 with a stick of DDR2 1066, the lower clock speed will prevail and all will run at the lowest speed. but like patonb said, read your mobo manual, and you should be good... but if you just want to try it, then make sure the third stick is next to your FIRST DIMM slot, if it's numbered 1,3,2,4, or A,C,B,D, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom