Benq DW1625 stopped recognizing blank DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Out of the blue. It recognized them just fine last week and burned , too. It is still recognizing blank CDs, as well as DVDs and CDs that have been burned or bought.

I have re-flashed the firmware. I tried an older version with the same results, and then went back to the newer one.

It is not a program doing it. The drive itself is not recognizing the media. Yes, I have tried more than one brand. I am not a n00b and have already done all the troubleshooting I know of for it.

I gather from Google that others have had the same problem, but no one bothered to post back what worked for them.

Suggestions? Solutions?

LOL. definitely not a new one. Same one I built this puppy with, so it is three years old.

Just ran a cleaning disk... twice. Still no dice. I am trying three different brands... Memorex, Sony, and Imation.

The drive could be dying, but I doubt it. Usually they go all at once. I might be able to use this as a way to get a new SATA burner, though. :D

Do it, do it do it.....

It really could be the reciever eye going, and as a blank disc has no grooves, it does reflect right..... But thats honestly a out of my butt theory.

Have you happened to pop the drive into a different PC, Trotter? I'm all out of suggestions after that...

I've had those BenQ drives to some odd stuff to me before they die, along this vein. That's why I stopped buying them.

They don't make them anymore for a reason. ;) Too big of a hassle to transplant it as the other computers in the house are pre-builts.

Looks like it is time to sweet talk the wifey. Since I do all the burning on my computer I may be able to sway her before next Christmas. :D

That may be in the works from another source, but time will tell. I can be patient when I have to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom