4 to 8 GB of RAM worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delirium330

In Runtime
Hey, running a Quad Core CPU and 4GB of G Skill PI Black. Would upgrading to 8 GB be worth it, would I notice much of a difference?

I'm running Vista 64 bit and thought about upgrading what with the cheap price of DDR2 these days.

most likely won't need it

I agree - it really depends on what you're doing on it, though. I know very few games which will take advantage of even 4GB, but if you do stuff like video editing and such, that can take up a lot of RAM. Also anything to do with Adobe Suite.

i dont think its worth it at this time unless you're a video encoding buff of like adobe stuff, if its purely for gaming, the only game known to beneifit is crysis, and that only increases minimum fps, not average so much. so no, you wont notice a difference from 4gb to 8gb.

I agree with the above, unless you're in to really high end stuff I don't think it's worth it. 4gb should be plenty.

IMO, if DDR2 is being phased out which right now it isn't I would stock up on it, then again, I am one of them people that keep the same rig around for up to ten years, may not use it that long, but I use them for small things.... It just depends on if you plan on keeping that build in the future, and really might need 8GB of ram....

indeed. 6GB is more than enough, ive never been able to use more than 5GB and thats with Vista pagefile disabled, i have no idea what one would do with 8GB....

edit: this was in response to jorsoft. charles beat me to the reply :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom