Building Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilles

In Runtime
This is the first time I've built a computer, and as expected, it didn't work first try. : (

I've installed everything, and when I try and boot up I get no picture on the monitor. I've waited to see if BIOS was setting up or something, but it doesn't appear to be. Everything seems to be running, all fans, and the optical drive works, and the HDD seems to be spinning. The LEDs on the front don't work either (I thought I saw something once though).

The HDD and the optical drive used SATA cables I've never seen before. The skinnier red ones instead of the larger ribbons. I think I've used the correct ports on the mobo. The optical uses a SATA cable, so I put it into my second SATA port.

I would guess it's a video card problem, but I have no idea. There are three red lights on, towards the back of the card, on the side facing up. The card is properly installed as far as I know. It's got both power cables plugged in, and the fan is running. It seems to be snuggly in the slot. The mobo doesn't have on board, so I can't test it that way unfortunately.

I had made another thread once on my heatsink. It wouldn't snap in place correctly, but I got the push pins in there pretty good, and it seemed to be flush with the CPU. I hope it has nothing to do with the CPU.

Here are the specks.

CPU: Intel E8400
Mobo: P5Q Pro
RAM: Gskill 4 (2x2) DDR2 - 1000
GPU: Radeon 4870 512MB
PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer 650Watts
HDD: Seagate 500 GB SATA 2
Dive: Some LG drive. I can look it up if necessary.
Case: Antec 300 Mid ATX
Monitor: Old. I can try and find out, but I doubt it's the monitor. I used the right adapter for the GPU since it has no old-school port. I'll be getting a new one shortly.

Hope someone can help. : (

Try it with just one stick of RAM. And try the RAM in different slots. Also, try the different DVI ports on the video card itself.

You may also want to look into what those lights on the video card stand for. Check the manual that came with the card.

No manual really for the card. : (
I tried a single stick of RAM, although I haven't moved it around.
I tried both ports on the video card.

What brand of HD 4870? I'll try to look up and see what those red lights mean, but I'm pretty sure they don't mean anything is wrong.

Try each stick individually and in different slots to see if anything boots up.

Alright. I've got to get to bed, but I'll be trying to fix it this weekend.
Thanks for your help, again. :p

It's a Sapphire card.

Not a problem. Enjoy your rest!

Are you sure everything was correctly connected to your motherboard? Both power connectors were connected to your motherboard including the 24pin and the 4pin(sometimes 8pin) power?

The computer wouldn't even start if those were unplugged, right? They're both firmly in there.
It doesn't seem to be the RAM, I've tried multiple configurations. I tried reinstalling the video card, and I bought a new monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom