Upgrading to 500 watt Power Supply w/ HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

beli301

Beta member
My Onboard video card sucks (as do most on board video cards) so I am researching video cards, I do some gaming (Second life mostly) Sims. I'd like to get into a bit more of gaming, but need a good graphic card. (I'm not going to spend more then 120 for a decent one.. I have the one I want pretty much decided on the graphic card Diamond Radeon HD 4650 - 1GB GDDR2, PCI Express 2.0, CrossFireX, (2) Dual-Link DVI, S-Video, Video Card 4650PE1G at TigerDirect.com

I also run graphics editing programs such as Paint shop and Coral draw. (though more into Coral Draw these days then Paint shop)

my motherboard specifications: Motherboard Specifications, IPIBL-LB (Benicia) 

and thinking of getting this power supply:
PC Power PPCS500 Silencer 500-Watt Power Supply - PCI-Ex-Ready, SATA-Ready, 80PLUS at TigerDirect.com

I got the following e-mail from HP

input voltage: 100-127v/8A
200-240V/4A

maximum output wattage - 250W

Power Supply is any standard ATX PSU

If you wish to upgrade the Power Supply of your P,C you can upgrade the Power Supply for the PC to a Maximum of 400W. However I would also like to inform you that, HP doesn't have any tested information for the Power Supply of the PC's beyond 400W.

These specifications are recommended by HP in order for the smooth functioning of the Computer. It is possible to install the High voltage Power Supply if the Power Supply meets the dimensions and number of pins specifications. However, the motherboard and chipset should also support higher voltage, and it has to be tested before installing the high voltage Power Supply. To check whether the motherboard and chipset supports high voltage Power Supply, I recommend you to visit the nearest HP Authorized Service Provider so that the technician tests the motherboard and provide you the maximum possible upgrade information.

NOTE: It is strongly recommended to test the motherboard and chipset before installing the high voltage Power Supply.

Will the power supply work for this computer?

Thanks!

Provided your case is ATX, that power supply will work perfectly.

If you are willing to go $100 for a GFX card, go for this one instead:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100265L Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Currently $90 w/$10 MIR

That PSU will work with your computer, especially since HP verified that it can use a standard ATX PSU. PC Power is a good brand, and that is a good price (Newegg is out of that model... was $5 more but with a $15 MIR).

A higher wattage doesn't matter as it doesn't push the watts... they are just there if the computer needs them.

Thanks guys... I had a feeling it would.. but wanted to be sure. I never upgraded power supplies before, everything else yup.. upgraded no problems lol.

thanks for the link for the other one.. I will check it out and compare the graphic cards. As stated don't do much gaming... mostly internet and graphic editing :)

The ATX specification describes the pinouts (voltages and tolerances) on those connectors. If the motherboard is ATX standard then the voltages supplied by any conforming PSU will be correct ie a 600W PSU delivers the same volts as a 250W PSU but the amps that can be drawn by the componants will be significantly higher.
The power and cooling will be a much better PSU than the one in your HP and yes it will work although you do not require as much as 500W.

The ATX specification describes the pinouts (voltages and tolerances) on those connectors. If the motherboard is ATX standard then the voltages supplied by any conforming PSU will be correct ie a 600W PSU delivers the same volts as a 250W PSU but the amps that can be drawn by the componants will be significantly higher.
The power and cooling will be a much better PSU than the one in your HP and yes it will work although you do not require as much as 500W.

thanks for the explanation. I realize I probably don't need as much as 500w but i'm thinking future use, and future graphic card replacements if needed. The ones I've been seeing have all required a min of 350w. Most decent ones from what i've been researching want at least a 400w, min. I'm thinking that with a 500w power supply, no matter what I upgrade to it should be sufficient in the coming years. I tend to upgrade my systems every 4-5yrs (yeah I know.. but as much as I use the computer and what I use it for.. they seem to do the job well).

and I verified with HP that my case is indeed a ATX case. I thought it was but wanted to be sure.

An HD 4650 or HD 4670 don't require that much of a PSU since they don't have power connectors..

You should only get a new PSU unless you are using like a crappy HP 200w PSU (which I highly doubt) and the HD 4830

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom