PC only boots after second try

Status
Not open for further replies.

grodrigz

Beta member
Hi. I'm trying to fix a friend's older PC - one of those no-name custom builds with a AMD
Duron processor, running at 946 Mhz. The problem is that about 90% of the time it won't
boot the first time, but it will ALWAYS boot if you turn it off and immediately turn it
back on (up until 10-12 seconds after turning it off the first time). During the first
try you get no beeps, no POST and no video, but the fans are working.

BUT on the second try it ALWAYS boots up normally and works fine until you turn it off
and back on again. I've tried just about all I can think of to remedy the problem as I
imagine with time it will get worse. Cleaned the contacts for the memory and reseated
them (2x128 mb - I know...sad). Cleaned contacts from graphic card, reseated it and
replacing it with a known working one. Connected to the onboard video controller rather
than the graphic card. Tested the PSU and swapped it with a known working one. Reset the CMOS by removing the battery. Tested the hard drive, reformatted it and reinstalled OS. I removed all peripherals (cd-rom, floppy, cards, ..etc), running it with bare
essentials. All drivers are working properly. Short of a defective motherboard or CPU,
can this be caused by something else?

What's odd is that it always starts up when practically restarted immediately after first
attempt and it will run fine if used all day.

More specs:
Motherboard: Matsonic MS8308E
80 gb Hitachi Deskstar HDD

Sounds like you've done everything we would suggest (new PSU, swapping RAM/video card, etc). I'd say it's an iffy motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom