I need some help with this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balishang

Baseband Member
So I'm trying overclocking for my first time and im getting really frustrated with this. I have a Q8200, 2 gigs of OCZ Reapers @ 1333 6-6-6-18, and a DFI P45-T3RSB Plus board. At 1333 mhz my RAM runs on 1.75 Volts. I know that when it runs 1066 mhz the voltage is 1.612 Volts. I overclocked my CPU from 2.33 ghz to 2.45 ghz by using 7 x 350. This FSB put my RAM at 1401 MHZ and still at the same voltage. I want to overclock more, but don't want my RAM speed to go up any further and have to loosen the timings, so I changed the ratio from 333/1333 to 333/1066. This put my RAM at something like 1152 mhz i think. Obviously, since 1152 is somewhere in between the 1333 and 1401, I thought the voltage should be somewhere in between. So I tried EVERY DRAM voltage in between 1.75 and 1.612 and none of them boot up. :confused::confused:
The only other thing I can think of to do now is that I know there are other voltages that I can adjust in the bios such as the northbridge core voltage, cpu pll voltage, cpu vtt voltage, and clockgen voltage control but I don't know if changing these would help or not. I could be wrong.

If the voltages are on auto, you'll be safe, they'll self adjust.

I'd set your vram to like 1.9 an leave it there for now. You've got everything on auto, but setting things manually in the end is best.

Don't know your board, but my 680i can be manually tweaked for ram speed. Look for advanced memmory settings.

CPU3D.com / DFI LanParty DK P45-T3RSB Plus Motherboard / Test Setup, Procedures and BIOS

Set your dram from auto to what you want.

But you should really set you cpu fsb first than go to ram, as you are most likely going to have to loosen to stay stable.

EDIT.

rEADING YOUR BIOS, YOU CAN'T SET A VALUE. ,oops, Set it to you ram speed. Voltages need to be changed, and should go to wha the ram specifies. Read you ram. It5 seems to be 1.75V like you had initially, so just plug in 1.75V till youre stable, than play.

hey thanks pat. i put the dram speed to auto and the voltage at 1.75 and now it boots. only problem is the first time it booted the resolution was changed to 800x600 and i could only raise it to 1280x1024 max because it didnt detect my graphics card. I rebooted and then it recognized it but now I don't have audio, my security software (AVG) doesn't start, my theme was changed to classic, and a ton of microsoft services are giving me errors because they failed to initialize. :confused:

I put it back to stock and now everything is normal again. Audio is back, AVG initialized, and the services loaded.

What controls the audio, northbridge or southbridge? maybe one of those needs a voltage increase?

i tried putting it back to what it was at when i was getting the problems (3 ghz) and it bsods after the loading bar but before you see the windows logo in vista. I didnt have time to see what the error code was because every time it restarts the computer after about 2 seconds.

I have the CPU voltage set to auto...should i put the voltages in manually instead?

alright so i manually put in 1.22 volts because it bsod'd at auto (1.20 i think) and then it booted up and i had audio again but neither my keyboard nor my mouse worked. I upped it to 1.23 and i got the bsod again..this time i think i could make out the error code something along the lines of "nvlddmkm"

Thats the display driver. Anywho you really should only overclock one component at a time. Start w/ cpu and downclock your ram. Stop where you'd like, write it down and go back to stock settings. Underclock Cpu and overclock ram. Finally, find a happy median between the two.

thanks thirdshift ill try and find that sweet point.
but i finally found out what is wrong i think. since my audio, keyboard, mouse, and internet aren't working i'm thinking the southbridge needs an increase in voltage. ill try it out when i get back to my moms house tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom