New laptop advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

odie072

Baseband Member
I'm in the market for a new laptop and would like to run a few by ya'll and get your advice.

What I'm looking for:

Under $1000

Graphics card-I'm not really into "heavy gaming", but would like the ability to game within the confinement of <$1000.

Larger screen-I mainly use my laptop at home and rarely take it out so I prefer a larger screen to portability.

Other than that, the laptop will mainly be used for general computing and Photoshop.

I currently have a Acer Aspire 5570z and am fairly happy with it except it has the built in Intel graphics and cannot play Tiger Woods:laughing:.

Here's a few Newegg laptops:

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS6530-5753 NoteBook AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82(2.20GHz) 16" Wide XGA 4GB Memory DDR2 667 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 - Laptops / Notebooks

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS6930-6073 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8600(2.40GHz) 16" Wide XGA 4GB Memory 320GB HDD DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS - Laptops / Notebooks

Newegg.com - HP Pavilion dv6-1050us NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P7450(2.13GHz) 16" 4GB Memory 400GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS - Laptops / Notebooks

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS6930-6942 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T6400(2.00GHz) 16" Wide XGA 4GB Memory DDR2 667 250GB HDD DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS - Laptops / Notebooks

Thanks for any advice or other suggestions.

odie072

I would personally go with Acer Aspire AS6930-6073 myself... decent setup and good graphics to boot. I think you might be happy with it.

I already have a desktop and I do take the laptop out just not that much. I want the portability, but its not a priority.

Thanks

odie072

I suggest this:

HP DV7-1183c - $799

Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Core 2 Duo P7350
4GB DDR2
250GB + 250GB SATA Hard Drives
Blu-Ray ROM w/ DL DVDRW + LightScribe
17" WXGA+ BrightView
512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
802.11 a/g/n
Bluetooth
Gigabit LAN
Altec Lansing w/Subwoofer

Costco - HP Refurbished 17.0" P7350 2.0GHz 4GB DDR2 Blu-Ray ROM Drive

Yes, it's a refurb, but CostCo has a very good return policy. If it's defective, if there's a scratch, if there's any hint of wear that you don't like, just exchange it or get a refund. If you don't have a membership, get one. It's fully refundable and can be canceled any time before the next years membership is due.

Stay away from HP in my opinion. Their customer services I experianced was subpar and it was rated the worst out of 8 laptop manufacturers. I have a dv9000 and had it for over a year and one of the hinges are really loose, some of the keys stick, and they are known for overheating. I say sony or toshiba are you best bet.

How to know that the notebook's speed is fast or slow?

How to check that the speed of a notebook is fast or slower?

Odie-
I recommend that you seriously think hard about whether you really want/need a laptop. I am writing this on my current laptop, a Dell xps m1530 that I bought this past year. I bought it because I got an awesome deal on it, and because I have the tendancy to be away from my home for days at a time and wanted to be able to check email/use the internet on the road. Knowing what I know now about laptops, and with the purchase of my iphone approx 4 months ago, I can honestly tell you that I would NOT have bought a laptop. It has come in handy since my desktop died. I am using it to research the new desktop that I will be building. But in my opinion, unless you really NEED a portable notebook option, you would be better off either upgrading your current desktop, or buying a new system all together. FYI, for what I paid for my laptop, I could get a sweet desktop system. Just somethings to think about. If you have your heart set on a laptop though, go ahead and get one. Do what you think will make you happy.
-Pure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom