C2D E7400 vs AMD 64 x2 7750; also NVidia vs ATI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, it's E7400, sorry for the typo :D

All the mobo suggestions either here on my other postings have fantastic features and decent price, but to be realistic when it comes to the availability (in my region at least), none of them are readily available. The nearest I can get is the mobo with the near-same configuration, incomplete interface (no HDMI, no digital optic out), different brand (DFI, Biostar), yet with much higher price. One IT store had the courage to suggest an ATI 4870 card (around $500) which will probably get me another more than decent PC build.

I will check again how much difference should I spent between Kuma config and Phenom X3 config, and will go from there.

At first I thought of Vista 64-bit, but calculating on how much time I will have to spend searching for the 64-bit enabled software to replace my recent set, I decided not to risk it and go for 32-bit. Many of my recent software doesn't say anything at all about 64-bit capability in their manuals or their website, so better not risk it I think. After all, all Vista DVD comes with both 32 and 64 bit. When ready, I'll go for 64-bit.

I don't have the sticks yet, so 2x2GB it is (or 4x2GB for 64-bit?).

As for NVidia to ATI comparison: which one has the mexican children? :)

Out of your choices

I however think that with you usage you would be better of with a tricore cpu such as this
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

I'm living in Indonesia, and as of my luck, there is an IT exhibition now with many promotional pricing.

If I could get this:

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom 9650 2.3GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

or this:

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom X4 9750 Agena 2.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

with not much price difference from the above suggestion, will it be worth it or I'm just being greedy? I see that X3 710 has bigger L3 cache than the other X4s, whatever that means, can someone enlighten me on this L1, L2, L3 cache?

ps:
I just recheck and X3 710 has the latest 45nm manufacturing technology, so it must be somewhat better?

Cache is memory kept between the processor and ram, more cache the better. They store frequently used functions.

Don't get the old Phenoms, the Phenom II are a lot better, the X3 710 is a good choice.

No need to unlock the other core.

3 cores is plenty and the chip is way faster than the older agena based phenoms.

Quoted For Truth. Honestly I don't see why anyone would be disappointed because they were unable to unlock their 4th core. They still have an awesome triple core that cost them almost next to nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom