How can Too much memory be problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpecial

Baseband Member
Lately I've been seeing software developers release patches that solve issues when computers have more than 4 gigs of RAM installed. I've also heard of 64bit OS's not installing correctly, with the solution to temporarily remove some of the installed memory. I have always thought that an increase in RAM would simply give programs access to a larger pool of virtual space. Would somebody mind explaining to me how larger amounts of RAM can cause problems like these?

They don't cause problems, the more memory available, the thing that is causing problems is developers not wanting to go past the limmitations of 32bit software that is causing the problems.

Actualy there is a flaw in what you just said Saxon, vista 64bit DID have issues with 4gb of RAM and up installed in the system, they released a patch that came out shortly after the initial release of vista 64bit that fixed the issue. It was usualy a BSOD that pointed to XP memory issues but is also a memory issue in Vista.

Saxon is right, this is a developer problem. There are tons of examples of newer and better systems and hardware out there that actually cause software systems to crash because the software system (usually older) doesn't know how to communicate with the newer hardware.

You have to remember programming isn't like humans, in that we know more than 4 gig RAM is okay, and to continue with the installation. Programming looks at a set of variables, if these variables aren't met or are incorrect (compared to the baseline) the program either kicks out an error and stops or freezes.

So what is happening is there are programming glitches that think that more than 4 gig isn't possible or is an error, so the program freezes. Not because more RAM is bad, but because the program is written on an old system in which 4 gig wasn't possible.

Actualy there is a flaw in what you just said Saxon, vista 64bit DID have issues with 4gb of RAM and up installed in the system, they released a patch that came out shortly after the initial release of vista 64bit that fixed the issue. It was usualy a BSOD that pointed to XP memory issues but is also a memory issue in Vista.

This is true in a way. This is on systems that use Vista 64 Bit Pre-SP1. Any disc that is pre-SP1 will present this issue. But any disc that contains SP1 will not. It was addressed and fixed with SP1.

If a user has only Vista 64 before SP1 they can use tools such as vlite to get SP1 slipstreamed onto their disk to bypass this situation.

So yes Saxon is right, and you are right. But certain conditions need to be meet for your conditions to affect people.

True, most systems no longer have this issue, and the issue was fixed shortly after the release of vista as I still have the hotfix seperatly downloaded and slipstreamed into a vista install dvd.

True, most systems no longer have this issue, and the issue was fixed shortly after the release of vista as I still have the hotfix seperatly downloaded and slipstreamed into a vista install dvd.
Yes i remember the hotfix as well. But it is just easier to have people slipstream SP1 into their install rather than go with this hotfix and then still have to install SP1 anyways. ;)

Meh, I get a bit lazy as I get tired of burning DVDS after some time, especialy when slipstreaming into vista... There goes another dual layer dvd X_X :( lol

DL? I can get all mine on a single layer. :p

But yes you are right. After a while it feels like you are making 1 coaster after another. I have at least 25 or more setup discs from XP/Vista/Win7 that are no good anymore cause of updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom