MoBo Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodom

Baseband Member
Hey guys, what are some things to look for in a MoBo that may cause bottle necking?

my bottleneck is with my OS.
E6850,4g ddr2, 32-bitOS, 8800gtsx2 (sli), asus striker extreme mb.

The FSB is one... if your running a high end CPU, but only a mobo FSB of 800, then your not giving the chip freedom to run.

Ram is another... you buy DDR2 8500 or better ram but only have DDR2 800, your stopping the maximum it can use.

No. The ram number is the speed at which it reads. the PC2 number is the type number. But now, DDR2 1066 Ram CAN and will operate at lower speed, just not as efficient. They will also work at greater speeds, if you over clock them, but be careful about that... the mobo and ram types play a big part in how much they can be OC'd.

As for the timing speeds...

A Guide to Memory Timing

I think you are overcomplicating this. What mobo do you have? Usually bottlenecking only happens between CPUs and GPUs.

For the timings - the lower the timings, the better so the 5-5-5-15 would be the best out of what you mentioned. That ram you got there is pretty good so you have nothing to worry about.

I think you are overcomplicating this. What mobo do you have? Usually bottlenecking only happens between CPUs and GPUs.

For the timings - the lower the timings, the better so the 5-5-5-15 would be the best out of what you mentioned. That ram you got there is pretty good so you have nothing to worry about.

Well the settup im using right now isnt what i'm asking about... i've asked these guys for advice on parting together my first gaming rig... in the process, im educating myself about how everything works together... i pretty much wanted to spend less than $800 and try to get the best i can in that budget. Anyway i was considering different ram, but wasnt sure about the difference between them... timings and such.

im looking to buy here pretty soon and at this point here is what im looking to purchase.

case
Newegg.com - NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

For front intake
Newegg.com - APEVIA CF12SL-UBL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Case Fans

MoBo
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

GPU
Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

PSU
Newegg.com - COOLMAX CU-600B 600W ATX 12V V2.2/EPS 12V V2.91 Modular Power Supply - Power Supplies

CPU
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

HD
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500YD 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

DVD
Newegg.com - Pioneer Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

**and the only thing i would personally change is the case... i like this one better and it seems to have better reviews, but its out of stock until 3/10/09...
Newegg.com - Thermaltake M9 VI1000BWS Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

all in all looks like around $810 shipped... and $740 after M.I.R.s

thanx Nukem for your help so far.

Ya definitely change that PSU to the one gt7 said. PC P&C is the best and like gt7 said, coolmax is on the avoid list. You don't want to cheap out on your PSU because if it fails, there is a chance it can take other components with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom