Problems, Problems.Need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuRpLeSmUrF

In Runtime
Tried booting a spare computer we had that hasn't been used in about a year. It would either reboot itself and the windows loading screen or give me a stop error screen that said

RIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Then under it had Technical Information STOP then a bunch of Zero numbers..Under that it..

atapi.sys - Adress F94705F8 ((Does atapi have something to do with the motherboard?))

What I did to try and solve the problem.

1. I tried different amounts of ram...and in different slots. (Did not help)
2. I took the video card out. (Did not help)
3. I tried some other ram I had laying about..same results, but new error message.

MACHINE_CHECK_EXECEPTION

4. Deleted the partition and created another one and tried to install a fresh copy of windows. It would get about 10 minutes into the installation(After the format) and would either just reboot or just give me that same error message.

5. I took the harddrive out and put it in another PC and installed a fresh copy of windows on it without any problems.

Whenever, I put it back into the other PC it booted all the way to windows.((NOTE: I lost the drivers CD..so after I installed Windows I couldn't reinstall any of the drivers))
Then it would pop up a screen that said
Windows has recovered from a serious error.
and ask me to send to Microsoft...after being booted to windows for about a minute or two it would either reboot(This happened more than the error msg)) or give me that same error message.

The system specs are

CPU: Intel Celeron D 3.6ghz
Mobo: Asus P5GDM1-VM((Those are the bold numbers on the Mobo itself)
Ram: Some off band crap DDR.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am stuck on what to do now.

Your issue lies with #5. You can not take a install from another PC and put the drive in this PC and expect it to work. You will have to install Windows fresh with this machine.

The hardware profiles will not match and cause this issue.

Yes. Try a repair install. See if that helps. Cause right now your system isnt even recognizing the install. So you have to do a repair to get the install fixed.

Until that point there is no real solution. Unless you format and reinstall Windows using that machine.

Alright, I will see if I can do a repair this time without that error screen it gave me while trying to install windows beforehand. Thanks for the help Mak.

Okay. It gets to the point where it restarts for the repair...and then when it reboots it gives me that RIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

So it seems I can't even repair it on this machine.

Any Ideas on what I could do to fix this part? It gives me that error message on a blue screen and some stuff about checking newely added hardware.

Drive IRQL not less or equal is a RAM related issue. Run Memtest86.

Thanks, Mak213. I will try that out and let yah know the results.

EDIT: Err, How do you use memtest. I downloaded it and burnt it to a CD..put the CD in the messed up rig and booted from CD but nothing happened.

Do you have another stick of ram laying around? if not maybe pick one or two up.. if your ram is bad, your pc wont work..

Yeh, I put two sticks from another PC in there and still giving me same message.

Okay, I just tried it with some different ram again...and while trying to install a fresh copy of Windows to it...the blue screen popped up and said "An attempt has been made to write to read-only memory" some other stuff about shutting down to prevent further damage yadda yah.

The only thing I did different again was used only one stick of a dif. 256 mb in the middle memory slot.(Two are blue, and two are black(The ones in the middle) )

Sounds like incompatible RAM to me. Either the RAM chips you are using can not function together or they do not work with the mobo in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom