Help with a build

Status
Not open for further replies.

PUNISSHER

Baseband Member
Hey everybody...

I would like some help with building my first PC. I was going to go the HP or Dell route but a few friends have told me that I can get more out my PC if I just build it myself, and after reading a few threads, I have to come to that exact same conclusion.

I won't need a Monitor/ Mouse/ Speakers but I do want to upgrade to a wireless keyboard. I don't play PC games at all, but I do watch movies on my PC. My current PC is slow when multi-tasking, so that is an issue I would definitely like to address. When using my PC, I usually do the following on a regular basis:

- Suf the net
- Listen to music (Itunes)
- Rip and Burn DVD's
- Occasional use of Photoshop
- Have Anti-Virus/ Spyware programs running in the background

If I do any of these things individually, I'm usually fine, but run two or more together and my PC turns into a turtle and I'm sick of it. So I need a tower, all the goodies that go in it and a keyboard. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.:)

A friend of mine from work put this together for me... looking for a second opinion. What do you guys think? Is this overkill considering what I used my PC for or would this be about right?

Newegg.com - Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops CPU $230

Newegg.com - ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards Mobo $135

Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards Videocard $145

Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory Memory $101

Customer Reviews Of Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM HDD $130

Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners DVD Burner $25

Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners DVD Burner $25

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies Power Supply $99

Either Computer case------

Newegg.com - XCLIO A380BK Fully Black SECC 1.0mm thickness ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases $90

Newegg.com - Thermaltake V9 Black Edition ATX Computer Gaming Chassis with Dual Oversized 230mm Ultra-Silent Cooling Fans VJ400G1N2Z Mid Tower - Computer Cases $90

A P45 chipset motherboard would be better for that Q9400:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
And that 750i board is kinda lame, it only supports DDR2 800.

You should go with a 9800GTX+ version instead:
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N884-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ Superclocked Edition 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
They are newer, and pretty much the same price.

Or you can go for an HD4850, which is about the same in performance. Then you can add another in the future for Crossfire:
Newegg.com - MSI R4850-512M OC Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

That Corsair ram is overpriced, this ram is just good if not better:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

And this hard drive is just as good but cheaper:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Any reason why you have two dvd drives listed?

Punissher, that looks just fine but seems like a bit over kill for the work you will be doing on it, but if that's what you want it will run clean and for what you want to do will be an easy task.

Any reason why you have two dvd drives listed?
Thanks gt7. I asked him for two that's why he added two. I actually only need one because I have one of those exact LG's that I just picked up in my current PC.
Punissher, that looks just fine but seems like a bit over kill for the work you will be doing on it, but if that's what you want it will run clean and for what you want to do will be an easy task.
Yea I kinda figured it would be overkill because he likes building gaming PC's, so when I asked for his help, I kinda figured he would try and build me a Ferrari, LOL. Any recommendations on what will make it less "crazy" and more suited towards what my tasks will be? Thanks.

Well I mean it's always good to have items that can be upgraded in the future, just makes things easier and cheaper but anymore with any of this new stuff for the most part all of it will be upgradeable. I just thought that I would try to help you save some money if you didn't want to spend maybe like an extra $200-$300 since you don't use that extra power.

Ok this is cool. Two questions:
1. Can I keep the 1TB HD instead of this 500GB one?
2. Only reason why I would like to keep the quad instead of the dual is because I would like to have the ability to rip two DVD's at once. If the dual can do this, then I will go with a dual. What do you think?
Well I mean it's always good to have items that can be upgraded in the future, just makes things easier and cheaper but anymore with any of this new stuff for the most part all of it will be upgradeable. I just thought that I would try to help you save some money if you didn't want to spend maybe like an extra $200-$300 since you don't use that extra power.
I totally get what you mean. I don't wanna spend an extra $2-300 on parts that are actually going to go to waste, because I will never utilize them to their full potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom