Asus P6T or EVGA x58 Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infowarrior45

Baseband Member
Hmm, I'm choosing an x58 motherboard. I've got the motherboard narrowed down to the Asus P6T or the EVGA mobo. They are just about identical in features, from what I researched. Let me know if I'm wrong there. The EVGA has 1 more SATA header, and it also has a CMOS reset button. I won't be OCing right off the bat, but it's something I am taking into consideration when it comes to OCing features. Also looked like the ASUS mobo had a real RAID controller on it.

Also, I would assume that if you were to use 1 GTX 285 in either of the boards, the PCIe x1 will be blocked say for a sound card?

Right now I can get a good combo deal with the EVGA mobo and GTX285 SSC. I like the warranty and 24/7 tech support that EVGA offers. I suppose I void the warranty when I start OCing?
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

What do you think?

P.S. I just noticed that the EVGA board has 2 more USB ports on the back than the Asus board. Thought that was worth mentioning.

Thanks, infowarrior45

The Evga might be the better choice. They do have good tech support. Also, I hear the Evga X58 is easier to overclock with.

Definitely go with the EVGA. I have one and it is great! Overclocking is ridiculously easy with it too. Another great thing is that overclocking doesn't void your warranty. EVGA is all about overclocking actually. They even give you an exclusive overclocking program. You will be very happy with the EVGA. And no I don't work for EVGA lol I have just always been really happy with them and their products.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I ordered the EVGA X58, and it should be here Friday:D. I did see that the Classified is coming out soon, but it only has 6 SATA ports, and the 9 SATA ports on this one is what sealed the deal for me.

The customer service from EVGA also gives me a good feeling. If it is anything like BFG, it's outstanding.

One question. Am I correct that if I put a GTX 285 in the first PCIe x16 slot on this board, then the PCIe x1 slot will be blocked? That was sort of a bad layout IMO, since a lot of people will be using a GTX 200 series card on this board. If you are using only 1 GPU, wonder if you could put it in the second PCIe x16 slot, and still have it run at x16?

I could always stick my sound card in the PCIe x16 slot at the end I suppose.

Thanks a lot,
infowarrior45

It will come down to personal preference. You can make a strong case for both. I wouldn't get the evga simply because I know a lot of people who have been screwed over by evga boards in the past. but that isn't to say that you should count it out.

It will come down to personal preference. You can make a strong case for both. I wouldn't get the evga simply because I know a lot of people who have been screwed over by evga boards in the past. but that isn't to say that you should count it out.

that was an issue in the past with the nvidia chipsets but it is a completely different story with the x58.

OP: Yes it will block the slot I believe but your sound card doesn't have to go in a x1 slot. they can go in x16 slots just fine.

Like I said, I wouldn't use that to dissuade him. I know full well it was Nvidia's fault. But as puddle put it the other day,

"if it was just the chipset, then the board should work, it would just suck, these suck and don't work."

that is a good point but I can vouch for the x58 and so can veedubfreak. we both love ours and have had no problems with them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom