RAM not Being Recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garflex

Solid State Member
Hey, I recently bought 2 new sticks of 1 gig RAM for a grand total of 4 gigs, and they're the exact same ones as I had before. I didn't expect windows 32 bit to recognize all 4 gigs but was surprised when it only recognized 2 gigs. I've switched the RAM up every way possible and it keeps reading 2 gigs in windows. In PC Wizard it reads 4 gigs though, I've asked a friend who's good with computers and he doesn't know either. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

what kind of video card or cards are you running? .5gb is reserved and the remaining could be from your video card. Is your board bios up to date?

what kind of video card or cards are you running? .5gb is reserved and the remaining could be from your video card. Is your board bios up to date?

Running a 9800 GT and I'm not sure what you mean by "Is your board bios up to date" but I can tell you that I haven't gotten any drivers for my mobo. My mobo is a abit AA8XE if that helps. Also, I did have 3 gigs total in it at one time, which was 2 1 gig sticks (which are in it right now) and 2 512 mb sticks which stopped working.

You may need to flash your bios depending upon what version you have. Prior to bios id #20 there were issues with 4 1gb sticks of RAM installed. The most up to date bios version for your board is id #26.

Universal abit > Motherboard, Digital Speakers, iDome, AirPace, Multimedia

Alright, I DL'd it and went into safe mode and did it but I'm not sure I did it right, I don't know much about safe mode and how it works. Windows still says 2 gigs. How can I check to see if its installed correctly? Or if you could help me get it installed works too.When I went to safe mod with cmd prompt all it gave me was a cmd prompt so I did regular safe mode boot instead. Thanks for all your help so far.

I read the instructions some more and it says "a. Boot into MS-DOS or "Safe mode and command prompt" if you are using
Windows95/98" I'm using windows xp, does this mean I don't need to do this?

Alright I'm gonna try to give you as much info as possible. I'm using a Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz Prescott, 250 GB hardrive, and a OCZ stealth xstream 600w psu. The RAM are all corsair xms2.

Also, while looking through PC Wizard I noticed a difference in the tRC and tWR clocks, not sure what they mean but slots A0 and B0 have tRC at 102 clocks and tWR at 26 clocks and A1 and B2 have tRC clocks of 22 and tWR of 8.

I hope this is enough information, I'll see if I can find any other differences.

Also, while looking through PC Wizard I noticed a difference in the tRC and tWR clocks, not sure what they mean but slots A0 and B0 have tRC at 102 clocks and tWR at 26 clocks and A1 and B2 have tRC clocks of 22 and tWR of 8.

that means you didn't get exactly the same memory. just because it has the same brand name (i.e. XMS2) doesn't mean it's the same. they will continually change the type of chips used and sell them under the same name.

flash your BIOS, if that doesn't work come back and we'll start thinking again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom