$500 Buld Challenge - Part Duex

Status
Not open for further replies.

FailBoat

Solid State Member
I'm in a similar boat. I have about 500 bucks or so, maybe a bit more to burn on a computer. Need everything but peripherals.

Using an Intel chipset I came up with this, but this is my second computer build ever. If anyone could look this over and give me any red flags or suggestions, I would appreciate it. Will use this computer mostly for gaming Fallout 3, Crysis, probably a couple other FPS. I'm a big fan of Newegg, but if I can get a part for cheaper somewhere else, I'll just get it from there.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - $99
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz -$120
GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card- $145
Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) - $42
Western Digital Caviar SE 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $49
COOLER MASTER ELITE Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $40
Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply - $60
LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS122-04 - $22

Mail-in Rebates: -30
Total: $548

I need to shave off a few bucks but am not sure where the best place to do it is... maybe a slightly cheaper graphics card and case? Is that enough power for this build?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply Zedman3d. I will check out that processor.

Since I am using this computer for mostly gaming, wouldn't it make sense to invest more in the graphics card than that? Also, I know there is a lot of emphasis put on power supplies on these boards, but what was wrong with the one I selected? That PSU you listed just seems quite expensive.

The 2 psus actually have almost the same amps, and Corsair has 3 more, is a much better brand. Amps are the thing to really look for.

I have a corsair 520 powering my system, and it's stronger than yours.

The ati gpu is a decent gpu. Ati are very good price vs performance units. Just like the cpus, you get 90% performance at 75% of the price.

Thanks for the reply Zedman3d. I will check out that processor.

Since I am using this computer for mostly gaming, wouldn't it make sense to invest more in the graphics card than that? Also, I know there is a lot of emphasis put on power supplies on these boards, but what was wrong with the one I selected? That PSU you listed just seems quite expensive.

thermaltake is an avoided brand. corsair's are nice. you get what you pay for. but psu's have been known to take themselves and their neighbors out in big bang...

^ Actually Thermaltakes are pretty good, they have some high end ones and some low end, great for budget builds.

Ah alright. I'll look into PSUs a bit more once I get off work. There seems to be a lot of information on these boards about them.

What would be a rough equivalent to a 9800 GTX+ for ATI? I'm still clear why I should skimp on the graphics card if all I am going to be doing is playing games on this system.

Actually, I was looking at an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz. It was one of the other build suggestions that was AMD. I am still up in the air at this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom