Gateway FX6800-01e What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a decent build but I don't know what brands of parts they are using and I have to assume that they are using the cheap brands. They also probably only offer a 1 year warranty where if you built it yourself, most things will have atleast a several year warranty if not lifetime. Upgrading would also void any warranty you do have. I still recommend you build it yourself. Its very simple and much more satisfying and you will be getting more for your money

I used to work at Gateway, I think the intel i7 920 is the best bang for the buck, and the ati 4850 is great bang for the buck video card, however, coming from someone who used to work at Gateway, they use cheap ram, power supplies, case design is often funky and bad for cooling, I've seen them send out computers with wrong drivers altogether, always install a ton of crapware, ship them with outdated bios versions, crap wire management.

If you have any pc gamer friends, get together with them and spend a couple hours putting a new pc together and installing windows. You'll be happier and more knowledgeable in the long run, if you just don't want to mess with that, go for the gateway if you want but keep in mind you might want a stronger video card.

I used to work at Gateway, I think the intel i7 920 is the best bang for the buck, and the ati 4850 is great bang for the buck video card, however, coming from someone who used to work at Gateway, they use cheap ram, power supplies, case design is often funky and bad for cooling, I've seen them send out computers with wrong drivers altogether, always install a ton of crapware, ship them with outdated bios versions, crap wire management.

If you have any pc gamer friends, get together with them and spend a couple hours putting a new pc together and installing windows. You'll be happier and more knowledgeable in the long run, if you just don't want to mess with that, go for the gateway if you want but keep in mind you might want a stronger video card.

yes the i7 920 is an awesome processor and the 4850 is a great budget card but like macdawg said, they use cheap ram, crappy power supplies and bad wire management. Oh and you will also be stuck with a stock heatsink. All of the crapware companies install on their computers is extremely annoying too like he pointed out.

You guys have me talked into building it myself. Do I need to build such a high end computer for my first time or should I save some money and go with a core 2 which I believe has cheaper components available?

I'd really shoot for the Core i7 920 if you can fit it in your budget, what is your budget?

You guys have me talked into building it myself. Do I need to build such a high end computer for my first time or should I save some money and go with a core 2 which I believe has cheaper components available?

Stick w/ the i7 920. Going w/ core 2 will only cause problems later when you feel the need to upgrade. If you have a Microcenter near you you can purchase the i7 for $229

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom