Recovering Outlook (Outlook Express) Mail and Contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
MicroBell said:
Location of his address book.... C:\Documents and Settings\His user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book.

[Blah Blah Blah SNIP!]

Thank you Microbell, that save my ass form having to explain to my client about how is email is now FUBARed.

TECH FORUMS SAVES THE DAY AGAIN!!!

robin77 said:
thanks Silesia

all sorted... great help

No problem. It's a process I do on a day in day out basis with customer when i have to reinstall their OS on their computers.

BACKING UP OUTLOOK

If your still going to be using outlook heres a better way to keep everything:

In Outlook, go to Tools->Options->Maintinance

While in Maintinance click the button called "Store Folder".
Copy or write down whats contained in the text box.

Open internet explorer, copy that value into the addressbar and push enter. You will be presented with a number of *.dbx files, these are the files that you need. Copy all of them into a backup folder (and I usually compress them, but its up to you).

When you need to get your address/messages back go to the folder that you copied the *.dbx files to, and copy (or extract) to your "Store Folder" (and yes you want "Yes to All" when overwriting, unless you've already got some data there.

Bingo, startup Outlook and it will all be there. These *.dbx files contain everything BUT the accounts.

-Mike

Re: BACKING UP OUTLOOK

mdshort said:
In Outlook, go to Tools->Options->Maintinance

Which version of Outlook is this. I am using Outlook 2003, and I do not have Maintinanance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom