Could you guys help me in building a computer please? :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
well the 4870 x2 is not as powerful as 2 GTX 285's. you wouldnt be saving loads of money

but to cut costs getting home premium over ultimate isint a bad idea but with that kind of money to spend why not?

..but i also want to give him the very very best

premium will make that computer run as fast as ultimate. It's the 64-bit OS(operating sytem) that is very important.

You can always get the second video card at a later date, and you'll buy it cheaper later too. this thing is gonna scream with one gpu.
If it was me I'd get one 285gtx.... build the machine....play and enjoy.

Could he always upgrade later if he wants?

Because my budget is high..but 200$ is a lot of money if it doesn't help him much :p

well, if you get a 4870 x2 then your only other option would be to get one more, and quad fire just sucks in most games right now. so i do not recommend it.

the 2 GTX285s would be better, but in the future you would only be able to add a third GTX285. but it will be few years until 2 GTX285s will stop maxing out games.

Oh! hehee great! :D

$2,343.89 is the total, and i even have a new monitor for him now! :D

Oh Gosh- he is going to flip :D

assuming i don't break something setting it up :p

I think i'll go with Premium OEM, but keep the two GTX 285s, maybe he will buy himself a 3rd down the road :D

hehee, thanks sooo much for your help everyone :p

Now i gotta figure out how much i can get for our old computer... Might be the same as getting his new one for a couple hundred less :D

Gosh..could anyone recommend a good place to sell old computers, or get a appraisal? I would ask in a new topic on the forum, but the rules said i need 100 good posts to mess around in the Buy/sell area :(

well, if you get a 4870 x2 then your only other option would be to get one more, and quad fire just sucks in most games right now. so i do not recommend it.

the 2 GTX285s would be better, but in the future you would only be able to add a third GTX285. but it will be few years until 2 GTX285s will stop maxing out games.

Yeah the 2 GTX 285's is faster, but it's $245 more expensive too. If a single HD4870x2 is capable of maxing evrything out at 1900x1200 there really isn't a need for anything more .

Besides 3x GTX 285's won't scale much better at 1900x1200 than 2x HD4870x2's so I wouldn't really consider it a good upgrade option either.

The 4870x2 has much better price performance. it leaves you the option to drop in a second. And 2 card scaling even on the x2s is much better than tri sli, which hardly scales at all. Even one gtx295 would be better. Its cheaper and not much slower. gtx285s are expensive and slow compared to your other options.

Gosh..Should i get a flash-drive to transfer our files onto the new computer too? I was looking at them..they seem really cheap..:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom