Windows 98 install problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have already done that. i just realized that the laptop now boots from the hard drive. i need to know how to install cdrom drivers so that it can read my cdrom so i can install win98.

get a copy of them and put them on the hard drive, edit the autoexec.bat file so the drivers get loaded, reboot with cdrom in laptop and install win98

IBM is a pain in butt over this, but it can be done.

Dont remember what the special cdrom driver was called but I think its bundled with some other stuff, its small though, it will fit on a floppy and you can copy it to C:

do i just put the disk with the driver on it in the floppy drive and copy to c: and bam, it works? any ideas where to get the driver?

goto IBM's site, and I think after copying it you will have to edit the autoexec.bat file so it gets loaded at boot time, or just run it manually after boot up then run setup on the win98 cdrom

do this, when booting from the cdrom instead of starting the installation exit to command prompt (been awhile for me). when you get to the command prompt do a flat install. create a folder on the c:\ and copy the win98 directory to it. Sooo... essentially, you wont be using the cd for the installation. So when it goes to the command prompt type the following:

md c:\install <enter>
cd win98 <enter>
copy *.* c:\install <enter>
c:\ <enter>
cd install <enter>
setup <enter>

now it shouldn't prompt for the cd but install from the HDD.

its an IBM laptop with a hotswap cdrom/floppy system that doesnt have the cdrom drivers already onboard, they are loaded at boot from the hard drive or a floppy, if booting direct from cdrom that gets skipped........and it wont boot.

You can copy the win98 cd to the harddrive and do the install that way, but you still need the cdrom drivers installed prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom