New Build...anyone see any problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a lot wrong with this build actually...

First off, don't get the old Phenoms. Grab a new one.
You could do so much better for a mobo at that cost.
Really not much of a point in getting 1066 RAM, you aren't going to notice a lot of difference for your money.
You can get a better PSU for about the same cost.

The case and monitor are really up to you, but that case is out of stock.

Let me put something together for you.

EDIT: Alright, I put a build together for you:

Case Newegg.com - RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply - Computer Cases

CPU Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

Mobo Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

RAM Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

PSU Newegg.com - Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply - Power Supplies

HDD Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

GPU Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR AX4830 512MD3-H Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

DVD (2) Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

HSF Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Monitor Newegg.com - Hanns·G JW-197DPB Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1(DCR 2400:1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

OS Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

All this comes to $1,048.53 after shipping, then there's 85 bucks in MIRs. Let me explain a couple things:

- First off, the CPU I put in there is the top of the line at AMD right now. It kicks major tail.
- The mobo I listed has a great chipset, the 790GX. If something ever happens to your video card, the onboard video is more than adequate for moderate gaming. Also, awesome at overclocking.
- The PI Blacks are about 2 bucks more than the 1066 pair you had, but this set has much better timings, and are probably the best sticks of RAM out there in the price range. Much better for overclocking.
- The PSU just happens to be a good deal right now after MIR.
- I changed your GPU to the 4830 because it's loads cheaper, and a better card than the 9800GT. You get more bang for less buck.
- I personally like the Core Contact Freezer, it's a great little HSF for the same cost as yours, except it comes with an MIR. The one you picked out is ok, it's just out of stock at the moment.

In my opinion, I would upgrade the monitor to a 22". You could take the 50+ bucks you saved and put it towards this monitor:

Newegg.com - Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1 - LCD Monitors

The total after shipping with that monitor will be $1,098.53. But it's up to you, just my suggestion.

^^ Fair enough on that, but the one with the PSU has a $30 MIR, which is why I put it on there. ;) If nothing else, he has a backup PSU, even if it's not the best.

If the OP doesn't want to deal with an MIR, the one you posted would be better of course; cheaper up front.

Ah, I did not notice that rebate. Well it's his choice then. Save $10 up front, or save $20 after MIR in a few months. I'm still waiting on the MIR's from my build I did 2 months ago :(

MIRs are a pain, that's for sure, but even if he doesn't get it back, that's 10 bucks for a backup PSU. :p Or maybe he could sell it on ebay for 20, who knows? Ebay people are silly.

Actually what I meant by problems was....conflicts...lol. I realize that I could have gone for some other components but with the exact budget that I had, it was vital that I went with an older quad core and a decent video card, ie: the 9800.

So in other words, conflictual wise, it should be fine correct?

Also, looking at benchmarks I disagree with your assessment of the 4830 being better than the 9800... its a degree of consideration but I'd rather go with an Nvidia card with respect to both utilizing DDR3 and the same amount of ram itself, the 9800 scores better, and also has more capabilities.

And as for out of stock parts, I already have those ordered and are on the way. The system itself was already ordered. I was just making sure I wouldnt have any conflicts i wasnt aware about when I came to build it. I DO understand your thoughts on this, I may be swapping parts accordingly and sending some things back. We'll take a look when it comes to building it which should be sometime this coming weekend. Thanks a TON GUYS. U rock!

First off, don't multiple post. There's an edit button.

And as for the 9800GT being a better card, I guess that's up to interpretation. But seeing as the 4830 is, if nothing else, on par, and 50 bucks cheaper, I figured I would save you a few bucks. And we go by this guide for graphic card rankings:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-card-rankings-139202/

As for your budget, I kept under what you were paying for your first machine, and 1100 for an old phenom machine is grossly overpriced. I actually saved you over 50 bucks without counting MIRs, and you came out with a much better machine. But eh, it's up to you. Besides, you did say "please critique", which I had assumed you wanted people to critique before you went out and bought the parts anyway. What's the point of critiquing something that's already been purchased? It's a bit late for that.

As for "conflicts", I don't see any, except you may want to grab the memory I recommended. The board doesn't technically have "native support" for 1066...I mean, you're getting an AM2+ CPU, so I guess it doesn't matter, but you may as well get the better set anyway.

ATI cards have a tenancy to react lets say "half heatedly" to normal circumstances. And as I said I may be sending things back to make the computer perfect...dont go anal on me MR. "tech genius." As i said before, I thank you for the input and will use it accordingly. I had a deadline to order parts and I can always send and receive them back if needed.. dont get all batty on my because of that. No offense intended but seriously...lay off the tech steroids.

Excuse me?

You asked for opinions, I gave you mine. If you don't like it, don't post. It's as simple as that. You don't have to be a belittling tool, I was just trying to get you the most bang out of your buck. I wasn't "going anal", I was trying to help you. Since, you know...you ASKED for it. I was just going by what you posted.

Say what you want about ATI, chalk it up to personal experience, whatever. I really could care less. Get what you think you want. Was just trying to save you some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom