ZeroTherm Zen Fz120s
Infinity ATX PSU 600W
4GB DDR2 Crucial 800 MHz
E-GeForce 8600GTS DDR3 256MB
Memorex X16 Dual Layer DVD
Western Digital SATA 320 GB
SG Barracuda 1.5TB

Ok, here are my questions:

1.Does anyone have any suggestions for improvement [but I am on a limited budget]?

2. Is it possible to keep my Windows Ultimate Vista [which is working perfect] on the HD and just plug it in to this new system or must I do a complete fresh install of Windows?

So I suppose I am asking if it is possible {and wise} to continue to use an operating system after switching Motherboard, CPU, and case?

[Note:this OS is presently working perfectly on this system]:

Microfly Blue Case
Windows Vista Ultimate w/SP1
ESC G31T-M
Intel Q9550 w/Intel fan + heatsink
Crucial 4GB 800 MHz
Thermaltake 600w PSU
E-GeForce 8600GTS DDR3 256MB
Memorex X16 Dual Layer DVD
Maxtor SATA 500GB HD
Maxtor SATA 300GB HD
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600

3. How exactly would I install Windows Ultimate Vista and Windows 7 on this new build without risking major problems, and is it really worth trying Win 7?

4. Anyone have any experience with this MB [Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P} and if yes, do you like it? Also, how are the OC abilities using Gigabyte's software?

Ok, these are my questions. I hope someone can help me.

Have a great day everyone!

It's me,

Soar

1: get this psu instead, Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies also get this ram instead, Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

2: you will want to reinstall your os after a mobo upgrade.

3:win 7 is pretty cool, what you do first is install vista first then create a seprate partition and install win 7 :)

4: that mobo is awesome. ( i have the DDR3 version) it has gotten my q9300 up to a 500MHZ FSB before for benchmarking. and the ram is overclocked from 1333 MHZ to 1600MHZ at 7-7-7-20. so it is a very good board for the price. the included software is O.K but overclocking via bios is a lot more safe.

2: you will want to reinstall your os after a mobo upgrade.

You don't absolutely have to, there are some ways about burning drivers to a disc and then installing. Very lengthy and probably not worth the time, but if OP really wants to keep all his ****, (I know I would, I have 2T's of HD movies/games/ pr0n :p) This

Anandtech said:
The procedure is this: Shut down, install your new hardware, power on, and enter your system BIOS. Make sure your First Boot Device is set to CDROM. Insert the Windows 2000/XP setup CD and boot from this disk. (You may have to "press a key to boot from CD" as the prompt says.) Skip the initial prompt asking to repair your existing installation. Then proceed to the screen where you select a partition, and choose your existing Windows partition. Setup will detect your existing installation and ask you to repair. Say yes. When Windows Setup is complete, you should have a fully working installation with all your old user and application profiles. Everything should be intact, except your hardware and driver settings, leaving it fresh for your new motherboard.
might help, although it says XP, I'm pretty sure I've heard success stories with Vista too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom