Windows 98 install problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDiesel

Baseband Member
i have an old IBM Thinkpad 760E with swapable floppy and cdrom drives. i am trying to install windows 98. I ran into problems getting it to read the cdrom when i inserted it instead of the floppy. Well i finally got it to read the cd rom drive with a few helpful instructions from a different post. when i turn the laptop on it asks if i wanna boot with cdrom support and i select yes. it flashes the win98 screen like it is booting up and gettin ready to install and then it says not ready reading drive a: abort, retry, fail. what is the problem now? any help would be greatly appreciated. it is starting to get frustrating. when i abort it says" the windows 98 startup disk could not create a temp. drive for the diagnostic tools. this may be because this computer has less than the minimum required extended memory.
Path not found - :\comman.com
Path not found - :\extract.exe
Path not found - :readme.txt
Please insert win 98 startup disk 2
thanks all

boot to a win 98 floppy-with cd rom support. should give you e: drive. with your 98 in your cd rom, type setup at E: prompt. if your hardrive is partitioned and formated.

MacDiesel said:
the problem is that i can only have the cdrom or the floppy in not both

That means you can only boot to floppy or cd. if you boot to floppy it should still read the cd rom when you type setup

i got it where i can boot to the cdrom but read my first post and you can see what my exact problem is

MacDiesel said:
i got it where i can boot to the cdrom but read my first post and you can see what my exact problem is

what drive prompt do you get when you hit a or f

been there done that.

Ok you need the special cdrom drivers that allow hotswapping the cdrom and floppy from IBM.You also need to copy the sys files from the install disk to your hard drive, then boot up and go from there.

Dont expect any help from IBM, they are clueless and will want you to take the laptop to a "certified" IBM repair place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom