New RAM upgrade acting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaf3y

Beta member
Hi there,

Im new to this forum and a newbie to tackling computer issues. I tried to upgrade my desktop with more RAM but I obviously ran into issue and thats why im here :eek:.

The first thing I did was that I used this program call SIW to find out what RAM I needed. I had 2 slots both with 256Mb in it originally. So I bought a 1Gb stick and tried to get it to work but it was doing a bunch funny things. At times my comp would not start so I tried to take the stick out and put it back in switching the sticks beween the two slots and in all possible combinations.....including using only the 1 Gb stick. When I got it to work, the computer decided to crash a few hours later with a constant and failed attempt to restart its self.

Other simptoms included:
-a much noisier CPU, could it be getting too hot or something?
- blue screen with msg: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
-At another time I also got a msg in windows: error signature BCCode 1000008e BCP1:C000005................can type all that out if need.

I guess my question is how do I tell if the issue is with the memory stick? Below are the details about my motherboard and the type of ram I had and the one bought:

Motherboard: SiS-650, manufacturer Seanix
Original/existing RAM: SpecTek, 256Mb DDR PC2100
New RAM: Samsung, 1Gb DDR PC2100 266Mhz low density.
Im running XP home if that makes a diff.

Since I did not want my comp to ramdomly shutdown, I am back to using the old RAM that I originally had untill I can get some help. I noticed however that the time the computer hangs in the black screen before windows loads up is a lot longer that what it used to be (on the screen it reads detecting IDE drivers.....).

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help and I hope I was not all over the place with my thoughts :freak:

As above said, just make sure you have a blank CD ready, and boot from the CD drive. Let it get around 4 or 5 passes before quitting if it doesn't show error in the first few, just to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom