Optiplex 740 - USB Keyboard Failure. Yet, it boots. Eventually...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I have an Optiplex 740 here with what seems to be malfunctioning USB ports. When the system boots, it says Keyboard Failure. Yet, it boots anyway after a little bit. When XP comes up, after 30 seconds, the keyboard and mouse respond just fine.

I have a 2nd Optiplex 740 here and it seems like the problem is isolated to the one 740 and not the other.

The big red flag to me is when I hit F8 to boot to safe mode and I get the list of options, I cannot scroll through the list with the keyboard. However, F8 worked to bring the screen up...

I'm betting motherboard. But, figured I'd ask here for sake of conversation and 2nd opinions.

Note - The only things I did to the motherboard were removing/replacing the CMOS battery and drained the capacitors.

Probably just doesn't recognize a USB mouse at boot. Go into the BIOS and see if you can enable a USB mouse. If anything i KNOW you can disable that warning in the BIOS.

Probably just doesn't recognize a USB mouse at boot. Go into the BIOS and see if you can enable a USB mouse. If anything i KNOW you can disable that warning in the BIOS.

Why wouldn't it?

I have two Optiplex 740's.

One works.
The other doesn't.

I'm using the same keyboard and mouse on each one.

And btw, I can't get into BIOS. It just doesn't react to me pressing F2 continuously.

Oh my fault, sorry didn't read your thread right...

Do you have a converter that makes your keyboard a PS2 connection instead of usb?

Both keyboard and mouse are USB at this point right?

Oh my fault, sorry didn't read your thread right...

Do you have a converter that makes your keyboard a PS2 connection instead of usb?

Both keyboard and mouse are USB at this point right?

I did not go from USB to PS2, but I went from PS2 to USB in one instance. I have a PS2 keyboard and PS2 mouse into a single USB port that I normally use. But when this didn't work, I grabbed a real usb mouse and usb keyboard. In fact, the keyboard is even a Dell keyboard.

I've been using this usb mouse and usb keyboard since the get-go when the ps2/usb situation failed. Everything I posted about with it not being responsive and not being able to get into BIOS was with the real usb mouse/keyboard and not involving the ps2 setup I spoke about above.

I RMA'd the mobo and should have a replacement here soon. We'll see what happens. Thanks!

New motherboard.

Same problem.

I love computers.

EDIT - Could this be processor related? I'm going to have trouble digging up a proc of this socket since these computers aren't the most common thing we have around here. What are your thoughts?

EDIT - I found a PSU to another spare 740 that I had the opportunity to borrow for about 10 minutes. The PSU in it did the same thing, and I know the other unit works. So we've tried a brand new mobo and a spare PSU, both didn't work. I also switched the memory DIMMs around, booting individually with each one, however I couldn't get past the "Amount of memory has changed. Press F1 to continue" since the keyboard doesn't respond.

What next? Processor?

EDIT AGAIN - Cancel that. I tried another processor of an identical model.

We've established several things:

A - The keyboard I am testing with does indeed work on other Optiplex 740s, so I know the keyboard is supported.
B - I have swapped out the motherboard with a brand new one, same problem.
C - I have swapped out the power supply with a working Optiplex 740, problem still persisted.
D - I have swapped out the processor with the above working Optiplex 740, problem still persisted.
E - I have booted the computer on each 512mb DIMM individually. Problem... still... persisted...

What the $#@*U($*(#?!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to bounce this thread back up and see if I could generate some more ideas. I kept staring at this 740 on my desk for the last few weeks thinking maybe I was doing something wrong. I gave it a 2nd shot and re-traced some of my previous steps but each time I came up with similar results from last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom