Fixing a friend's computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to address this part of kmote's post....

Specifically:

1) You need to touch these two leads as he indicated by using something like a screwdriver (it works).

2) You also need to have the unit plugged in and turned on of course. It will start the computer up without a swich being pushed. All this does is bypass the switch on the case to start up your computer.

On ATX mobos (almost all the ones made in the last several years) the switch on the case sends a signal to the mobo which tells the CPU which tells the PSU to "turn me on, baby ! " :p

By doing the above, you are essentially bypassing that switch.

:laughing: LOL. Or leave it unplugged and I can send him some electricity in the mail ;).

Lol !! Well I thought I would mention that, because he hasn't heard of how to do this before, so I thought I would be very specific. Face palm me if it is that obvious, wouldya ?? :p

electricity via e-mail = e^2-mail lol

Alright so I plugged it in and attempted to turn it on manually but I couldn't get it to work. I accidentally got it to turn on for a second but I'm not sure how.

Can anyone tell me exactly what to do? What do I connect exactly? Where exactly is it?

They show most of the connectors in the manual but honestly at this point I'm just tired and confused. Can anyone be specific? I'll worry about it starting up with the front panel button later, right now I just want to know if it's working.

Manual can be found here:

MSI -- MICRO-STAR INT'L CO., LTD.

I'm a noob and trying to follow this incase I run across this in the future. Is it page2-16 in the manual....JFP1 number 6 and 8?
I must say I'm not a big fan of the screwdriver idea....touch the wrong pieces of metal by accident and who knows what could blow. Is that the same plug as your pc Dakaggo? it looks like my power button plug connector would fit the new MB. Isn't that standard (accept for dell :( )

I'm a noob and trying to follow this incase I run across this in the future. Is it page2-16 in the manual....JFP1 number 6 and 8?

I think so but I tried connecting them and it didn't work... I hope I didn't break it the first time I turned it on manually...

Can anyone who knows exactly what they're doing help? For instance does anyone know of a way I can make the computer start up with the power button in the front? Does anyone have any idea EXACTLY what I need to do to turn it on manually? I could really use help.

the pins that the connector was wrong for from the computer on button. the one your your talking about not being the right type of connector.. get the mobo manual .pdf from the manufacturers site and it should state what pins clearly.
alot of guys start em that way if the board does not have a button on it even A+ tells ya you can do it this way..most people I know start and check for post before they install the board in the case and thats how they turn em on.
mine has a reset and on button right on the bottom of tha board.

at this point if splicing doesn't work for you as Atech66 mentioned.( In this application finding the right button will probably mean same wrong mb connection, so find right mb connection then spice to existing button)then a new button would have to be cut and installed in the case.
Have you fired this thing up yet? I assume you have installed in case with cpu ram etc... did all the other plugs work from psu? The reason I didn't like the screwdriver is bc I smoke and drink coffee and shake too much to play doctor. :eek:

As I said I tried it to the best of my abilities and from what I can tell it booted up once for a couple of seconds, I took the screwdriver off and it stopped and then I couldn't get it to go again. I'm beginning to worry it's been fried but that seems unlikely... although not impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom