Will an AGP Radeon HD 3850 be OK with my system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazer18

Baseband Member
I need to get a new video card to play any game on my computer anymore. I've got a several year old system so I'm still using AGP. I used to play with ease about 5 years back but that card has since died and I'm stuck with a crappy card at the moment. I'm looking for a top of the line AGP card to play games smoothly with settings at their highest.

I was looking at getting an AGP Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit since it is supposed to be pretty powerful I reckon. Is this a compatible card or are there any other better cards out there for these system specs?

Dell 8300
Windows XP
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz
2.99 GHz, 1.00 GB RAM

Those are just the specs I copied off of "System Properties". If there's anything else y'all need just tell me please.

Thanks.

I'd like too but I'm not sure that I have the means right now. If that card will work fine I've found it at a good price.

Its a great card, but the single core chip may neck it.

An HD2600XT might be a better choice, unless you can get the 3850 for cheap. Also if you could get some more ram, that would help a bit.

I'd like too but I'm not sure that I have the means right now. If that card will work fine I've found it at a good price.

Say your life depended on buying one (PC) right this minute, how much money do you have? What ever it is we can try to help.

Well I found the 3850 for $119 at newegg. By neck it you are talking about a bottleneck of the system, correct? I'm pretty new to this stuff but I believe that a bottleneck is quite a slow down of the systems' performance?

Would the HD2600XT be able to run high graphic games on high settings without a hiccup with close to the same strength as the 3850?

Say your life depended on buying one (PC) right this minute, how much money do you have? What ever it is we can try to help.

Lol well if my life depended on it then I'd buy whatever was sitting on the shelf in front of me. It's not so much really how much money I have but more of other things going on at the moment with life.

Well I found the 3850 for $119 at newegg. By neck it you are talking about a bottleneck of the system, correct? I'm pretty new to this stuff but I believe that a bottleneck is quite a slow down of the systems' performance?

Would the HD2600XT be able to run high graphic games on high settings without a hiccup with close to the same strength as the 3850?

yes thats what i mean.

In that system, an HD2600XT may perform very close to the hd3850 simply because the cpu would be holding back the performance of the stronger card.

Lol well if my life depended on it then I'd buy whatever was sitting on the shelf in front of me. It's not so much really how much money I have but more of other things going on at the moment with life.

Fair enough, and yeah, just grab the 2600XT and make sure your power supply is adequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom