SimpleTech Portable drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

808Alaska

In Runtime
Howzit everyone. i have a simpletech 160GB hard drive that works when i use a regular Mini 5-pin USB cable, but when i plug it in with a brand new high speed 2.0 mini 5-pin USB my windows Vista home premium 64-bit operating system doesn't read it. However i does get power to it because the light is on and it sounds like its trying to spin but it cant. Kinda like a little tapping noise at one second intervals. There is also a power plug in for the portable hard drive. would it work if i gave the portable hard drive its own power supply? Thanks for all the help in advance.

I'd say try giving it its own supply first. May not be getting enough power from the USB port.

If a device has the connetors for its own power supply, it will need its own power supply. It will not get the power needed from the USB port and that is why it comes with the connection for the external power source.

Something like a HDD will always need external power. They draw much more power than they can get from a USB Port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom