My Rig, maybe soon with pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to intel new stuff. by that I mean I have never bought an Intel new- always hand me downs and stuff. Lol. The stock grease was said to be as effective as Arctic 5, so I think I'll just keep it stock for now, I don't plan on over clocking it right away anyway, so no big deal right?

Case issues- I don't have my money for the HAF 93x I want. I do have an very old- very generic mid tower. The air flow might be a problem Were talking like 1 side fan and 1-2 exhaust fans, no front intake or vent. Do you think it will work- non overclock? Or should I keep the side door off?

Because unless the HAF can drop down to about 115 dollars with shipping, I am out of luck, even Friday (payday)

Try to get the HAF, I got mine already, it's a cool case. I also got the PSU, the GPU and the floppy. Now I'm waiting for the rest, and the store I ordered from is closed until wednesday...:mad:

Well I will be buying the HAF, just you know, would like to start the 200 hour process on the CPU and the case is currently on hold due to money issues.

I've never had to worry about heat before, so I never looked into "good temps" for GPU/CPU/RAM and all that, nor how to actually actively check it (although I know that most new mobo have devices to help monitor heat actively)

I guess I'll put it in the generic case, up here at eye level, with the side off so I can watch/smell and make sure it does ok. If it runs ok with the case on, I'll just keep it up at eye level until I can get my baby here on here wheels.

I don't think it will be too bad since I won't have the new GPU in yet either, again money issue, but I am still going to be making a whopping improvement on what I got now.

Case will be next, and finally, the new GPU.

Oh one last thing. 6GB RAM issue.... Will it work (or hurt) to use all 3 triple channel in, on only a 32bit OS? I know windows doesn't like to support more then 4Gb on there 32 bit, just wanna know if it'll default down to 4GB, or if it won't post at all, or what.

Might be forced to install Windows 7 Beta 64bit, although some games I play are not compatible yet.

wait so it's alright to run 6GB on a 32bit OS? "won't be a performance decrease" does that mean games and such run as if 6GB was in full use?

Its all right, but you won't be able to use like 50% of your RAM.. (performance will be same)

Go with 64bit, because when you find a way to use all 6GB's then you'll have better performance with 64bit

Well see I plan to go 64 bit and all, but I would like to hold out until windows 7 is out of beta, and I can pick up a brand new shiny 64bit Full Version. I don't really want to buy Xp64, and I won't even touch Vista with a 12ft pole and rubber gloves. So if I can just "tough it out" for a few months and not fry anything or hurt my machine- then that's what I'll do.

Just didn't want it to like overvolt or something. It's a triple channel mobo- so I really needa put all 3 sticks in, 2GB per stick, so yea some is "lost" but eventually it will be used.

Iama go see if the .iso burned properly and see if my Windows7beta 64bit works...

Well see I plan to go 64 bit and all, but I would like to hold out until windows 7 is out of beta, and I can pick up a brand new shiny 64bit Full Version. I don't really want to buy Xp64, and I won't even touch Vista with a 12ft pole and rubber gloves. So if I can just "tough it out" for a few months and not fry anything or hurt my machine- then that's what I'll do.

Just didn't want it to like overvolt or something. It's a triple channel mobo- so I really needa put all 3 sticks in, 2GB per stick, so yea some is "lost" but eventually it will be used.

Iama go see if the .iso burned properly and see if my Windows7beta 64bit works...

I, like yourself, hated vista for a long time and was adamant that I would never install it. Well until last weekend. I gave vista SP1 64 bit ago and I must say Im impressed. There's no way I will move back to XP as ive found the performance increase quite noticeable.

As I have been on 7beta.. even in it's beta state, its performance and stability is MUCH greater then windows xp pro. I felt the difference on my old rig here quite easily.

The beta takes up some 12GB for installation- although that is the "Ultimate Edition" and beta stage, so probably going to be much much less for when I buy it.

Thing is- I know I WILL be buying 7. So I don't want to buy a "temp" OS just for these few months in between developing.

When you have a old computer running modern-ish games, and you change OS to a beta stage, and notice games running smoother, less choppy, less laggy online, Less Crashes, no blue screens, no sound distortions- you know that even though that OS is in beta stage, it's doing a fantastic job of doing what an OS should do- be carefree and make things work better then expected.

Installation is actually quite idiot proof as well, very simple to understand and very straightfoward, it even sets up your LAN/Net connection with simple to read wording. It then creates a network password that you will need for other computers to connect and such- which I have not messed with, and could be part of Ultimate's bundle pack.

I like windows 7. My laptop does hang on it from time to time but I'm sure thats more because of the software I'm using. Itunes has trouble w/ it from time to time and Ableton sometimes and my other music apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom