Correct way to take Heatsink off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuRpLeSmUrF

In Runtime
The last time I tried to take a heatsink off the cpu...the thermal paste acted as a glue and pulled the cpu out while the lever was still down.

What is the correct way of doing this so that doesn't happen?

That is because the paste was old and worn, i really don't think you can get around this. I've had this happen tons of times and there really isn't a whole lot you can do. Negate the damage to the CPU by unlocking the CPU from the socket IF you can, i realize sometimes you can't b/c the heatsink and fan are probably going to be in the way.

If you can get inbetween the heatsink and cpu use a razor to try and break the tension between the CPU and heatsink when the CPU is still in the socket. If you accidentally pull it out w/o unlocking the CPU use the same method to take the cpu off of the heatsink.

If the heatsink does take the cpu with it again, should I apply new paste to it? or, as long as the cpu is still stuck to the heatsink will the old paste still work fine?

Old paste would work okay IMO. If you are revamping a computer it would be a good idea to separate the two and clean off the old paste, then reapply new paste.

Depending on how the mounting system works torquing the heatsink to sort of swivel/twist it off helps. I do this with BGA memory heatsinks rather than pulling straight up because I've seen horror pics of pulled up mem chips! :eek:

The last time I tried to take a heatsink off the cpu...the thermal paste acted as a glue and pulled the cpu out while the lever was still down.

What is the correct way of doing this so that doesn't happen?

As Lexluethar said, you should be good if the paste isn't really old, but it doesn't hurt to clean things up if you want a fresher paste on there. Anyway, here is a YouTube vid that is very short but sweet.

Heat Sink Removal (it covers an AMD but this works for Intels too)

Thanks for the advice guys.

Do I need to use some sort of remover, like alcohol, to remove the paste or will it be alright if I just rub it off with a towel. I know with alcohol it will be easier to get it off...but, I can't seem to find any around the house.

I just use Q tips and it usually comes off clean.
But if it is stubborn cologne,after shave and finger nail polish remover are high in alcohol.

Q-tips aren't the wisest thing to use, as they can leave behind lint. Lint = bad. Coffee filters don't leave behind lint and are relatively cheap for a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom