Building from scratch..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raserei

Beta member
Okay, well, where to start off...

This is my first time building a computer, I've installed small things such as GPU's in old computers, but nothing of this magnitude. I've been told with instructions it is relatively easy and I don't need to worry too much about breaking anything.

I'm building this for these simple reasons:
  • Its cheap
  • I need a gaming PC, not a store-bought pos.

I've done a nice amount of research, spent hours reading reviews on pieces, ect.. and this is what I've come up with.

If there are any issues (not enough wattage, could overheat, ect.) please notify me, as I don't want to waste any money!

I've been informed that I would most likely need to purchase thermal paste and apply it on my processor, would this be correct?

All suggestions are appreciated and will be looked into, and I thank anyone taking the time to help.

You could use a cpu cooler for that Kuma, the AMD black editions come with crappy fan and heatsink.
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
And it comes with TX-2 thermal paste.

Secondly, don't use a power supply that comes with a case. They are low quality, especially one from HEC.
This will do:
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS500 500W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

I've been informed that I would most likely need to purchase thermal paste and apply it on my processor, would this be correct?

You won't need to, but it's highly recommended. Also, are you considering overclocking?

I don't know much about HEC build quality - you might want to buy a power supply separate from the case so you know you're not getting a generic crappy power supply.

Edit: gt7 beat me, I agree with his choices.

For clarification, there does need to be some TIM between the CPU and the heatsink. If the AMD CPU comes packaged with a basic cooler then the heatsink will have TIM pre-applied. If you buy an aftermarket cooler (which I recommend) you may need to buy TIM or some may be packaged with it, either way you will have to apply the paste to the top of the CPU yourself.

You could use a cpu cooler for that Kuma, the AMD black editions come with crappy fan and heatsink.
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
And it comes with TX-2 thermal paste.

Secondly, don't use a power supply that comes with a case. They are low quality, especially one from HEC.
This will do:
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS500 500W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Okay, rather than that case, I changed it to - Newegg.com - Rosewill R5601-BK 0.8mm Japanese Cold Rolled Steel Screw-less Dual 120mm Fans ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
and
Newegg.com - Rosewill RP500-2 500W ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Is the sunbeam CPU Cooler needed, or would it just be nice? I'm trying to keep it around $600 max, I can go a little over, but that tops it a bit.

Also, is there a way to figure out the specs on my current hard drive, so I can figure out if I can just use this one for it?

Thanks for all of the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom