The Horrid Blue Screen of Death!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajete

In Runtime
This is the follow up thread for a previous one I made as I go deeper into the problem that's been disabling me from finishing this laptop. --

So I had this problem yesterday with a laptop (Dell Latitude D630) I thought had the hard drive (Hitachi) damaged because after reformatting (clean install) when vista was loading it would display the blue screen quickly then shut off and restart it's boot sequence. Sometimes it would manage to turn on and work fine... sometimes not... I went ahead and replaced the hard drive with a new one (Seagate) and it's still doing the same thing. Prior to the reformat it was never doing this...

Some questions I've asked myself -

+Could it be that I'm installing a different version of Vista other then the one specified came with the laptop and this is causing some sort of bizarre conflict?

+Could the memory some how have gone bad?

+Am I missing some sort of driver?

Any ideas? Suggestion appreciated thank you!

UPDATES

+ Just ran the original dell diagnostics... found no problems with memory or any problems what so ever. Also ran the memory diagnostics from the Vista cd and found nothing also... I'm stumped =\

+ I tried to install xp on both hard drives, and the setup is not detecting neither hard drive. Do I need sata drivers?

Because of when it occurs, I think maybe it's a driver issue. Especially since you aren't using the same version which probably had the drivers.

Run Memtest86+, this will determine if the RAM is good or bad.

Because of when it occurs, I think maybe it's a driver issue. Especially since you aren't using the same version which probably had the drivers.

Run Memtest86+, this will determine if the RAM is good or bad.

Well... seems like the RAM is fine. You mentioned it could be a driver issue... I know with SATA drives when they first came out you had to manually install the third party drivers back in the good old xp days... but this is vista... SATA drivers shouldn't been an issue.

It seems like there are so many people with BSOD problems, that Tech Forums could open up a whole subforum just for BSOD ! :p (just kidding, sort of)

It seems like there are so many people with BSOD problems, that Tech Forums could open up a whole subforum just for BSOD ! :p (just kidding, sort of)

Almost seems like it though, eh? Seems like there's been an influx of BSOD's lately...lol.

Yup, and since I like to look at the positive usually, I can say I have learned a bit about STOP errors, a little more than before anyway.

My question is why do i find most of them in hardware? BSOD's are all Windows related....:rolleyes:

Because we usually end up telling them to do hardware tests anyway :p. (Memtest, chkdsk, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom