Correct way to install Memory Modules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdar

Daemon Poster
It might be a little stupid question. But what is correct way to install RAM into Motherboard?

Before I always install by matching color.

Like here is pic of my motherboard...

dscf2436.jpg

Before my memory was always connected into slots 1 and 3, or 2 and 4.
On my first computer and other computers which I did for other people.

But on my new home computer when I had memory in slot 1 and 3, computer would not boot. At first I didn't know it was memory problem, I was thinking PSU went bad or maybe CPU isn't sitting right. But when I change my memory into slots 2 and 3, sitting close together, computer was booting fine, with 0 problems.

So do memory modules need to be close to each other? Or is it better to install them closer to the center of mother board (1 and 2), or closer to the case walls (like 3 and 4)?

Figure out which slots are dual-channel (read your manual) and put them in based on that...

Its either the same color, or same sides.. and that differs PC to PC

Read the mobo manual. Most boards say go with alternating slots eg 0+2 but I've also had boards which say eg 0+1. The only way you will know is to read the manual. If you no longer have a hard copy of the manual most manufacturers have an online version as well.

Agreed not all boards support Dual Channel either. so you should look for that in your manual too. its unlikely that your board doesnt support it but just check. Like my computer runs dual channel in 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 but not all motherboards are created equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom