MSI X58 and 9 Gigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atech66

In Runtime
I was farting around and decided to stick the other 3 gigs (3X1) DDR3 1333 in my system see what would happen.
I am running 6 Gigs (3X2) Mushkin ddr3 1333 now in the proper manner to get tri channel.
works fine.
But i stuck the other 3 1Gig sticks in per the manual and windows still only see's 6 Gigs
Vista 64 home premium which i thin recognizes up to 16 i read.
CPUZ see's 9 gigs running in dual channel
Windows see's 6 Gigs running in dual channel.
and windows only see's 2 of the 1 gig and 2 of the 2 gig sticks. = 6
I know you need to run the same speed and size for tri channel but even in dual channel why would it not see 9 gigs.
I'm just curiouse if anyones familiar.
the mobo supports up to 24 gigs it says

Could it be a limitation of the chipset? Or does Intel finaly have there memory controller on the cpu? Either way, I think it is a driver issue, or a memory controller issue with your dimms....

No cpuz see's the 9 gigs this board supports 24 gigs.
just Vista 64 does not see it.
Ah well i was just curiouse.. I want tri channel which requires same size and speed in the right slots anyways, It makes sense that it came up dual channel because of different sizes being recognized but why Vista did not see it i dunno, i'll look into it.
and ya X58 chipset and core i7 so thats covered.
it see's 2 1gig sticks and 2 2 gig sticks.
but the mobo manual does not really cover it very well as far as running different sizes in dual channel vs tri channel.

Hi Atech - I had the same issue and found a lot of dead ends in web searches. The fix for me was to pull all of the memory back out and then re-introduce them one chip at a time. Add each one in the order specified in the manual (A0, B0, C0, A1, B1, C1) with the same-sized chips in each bank (2GB in bank 0, 1GB in bank 1). The trick is to shutdown, uplug and repeat to let the BIOS acknowledge each chip one at a time.

Hmm, i have another set of 6gb sitting on the desk, i'll throw those in this weekend and see if windows sees all 12gb. Turns out, my cpu must have started the downward spiral of migration, i bumped the voltage .025 and my overclock is back to working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom