Game demo embarrasses my pc!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh25

Daemon Poster
So I installed the new Empire Total war demo. to start the game up it took about 10 minutes of load time, then to load each map/battle it took an additional 5-10 minutes, and then after each battle to return to the menu the same thing.

As some of you know, I have teetered between a whole new system, or just a video card update. I was starting to lean towards a video card update, but this incredibly slow load time wouldn't be improved by a new video card would it???

I've got a 2.3ghz dual core, 3 gigs of dual channel pc6400 ram, and a sata hdd. Is this stuff really that outdated that I can't even load fast anymore?? Or would just a video card update do the trick? Keep in mind I am running on a 26" monitor at 1336x768 resolution.

your gameing experience would be improved by getting a better video card then getting the rest.
your cpu aint too bad, just a little more overclocking and you will be set.

are you running vista or xp?

what do you plan to spend on it?

I am running xp. I was planning on going with a 9800gtx+, so kind of that $150 range as far as a gpu upgrade.

I have tried to push my cpu and OC more, and I even have a huge aftermarket cooler with a 120mm fan, but if I up my FSB anymore than it is, it gets unstable and crashes. I had posted many threads awhile back and nobody was really able to help me OC it more.

I am starting to put together two builds that I believe I could achieve. One is amd, one is intel. I am not particular towards one or the other really, I just want to save as much money as possible.

here is the amd rig-

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-DS4 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX Ultra Durable II AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

phenom x3 119.99
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom 8750 Toliman 2.4GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Triple-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

2g ram 34
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Intel Build

mobo intel 134
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

2g ram 34
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

The intel build is slightly more expensive, I'm not sure what the better performer here would be.

I have a hdd and a 500 watt ultra x-finity psu. technically I could just use those, and I could pull out my 3 gigs of ddr2 pc6400 ram. I still need a case, (my current one is a bit small) but other than that I'm set.

Should I get new ram, or just use my existing, is there much of an increase to go to the pc 8500?
And then is my psu enough? Or should I get a new one, and which one would you recommend and what wattage?

By the way, I really appreciate your help, you have responded to a lot of my posts.

Okay, please be gentle, but I thought map loading i.e. long load times had a lot to do with hard drive speed. Would he notice shorter times with a faster HDD or SSD or is it primarily the video card that is holding him up?

^^ possibly, most likely the ram and cpu are slowing the loading times. and it is a beta after all ;)

and the intel build is def the best over the two.

All right thanks. If you go to AMD Phenom X3 8750 Black Edition 2400Mhz 3.5MB HD875ZWCGHBOX at TigerDirect.com

and scroll down, it has a processor performance thing. It says vs a 2.4ghz dual core from intel, the x3 performs slightly better. it is also a Black edition which I could easily overclock. is the intel still a better build? And i guess last thing and then you no longer have to be bother by me, what wattage would be safe for a powersupply? 550? 600? I wouldn't think more, and where's a good site to get a cheap one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom