Should I go with AMD or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TDP is the thermal envelope which just means that maximum theoretical power draw at stock VID and frequency. Very rarely, if ever does a chip hit it's TDP.

However, I'd not want to skimp my CPU for power either...it's not like we are running them stock :)

TDP is the thermal envelope which just means that maximum theoretical power draw at stock VID and frequency.
again, it isn't measuring power. it's the suggested cooling performance. Which always exceeds actual power draw.

In the case of the 940, it exceeds it by far.

If you had a chip that consumes 125W of power, you'd need a cooling system that draws a minimum of 125W of heat away from the chip. But really, you'd want more than barely adequate cooling. In that case, AMD would probably give that chip a 140 TDP rating. Even though it's not going to exceed more than 125W under maximum load.

While the 9850/9950 would exceed the 95W maximum for the board, the 940 won't.

you don't understand; TDP doesn't tell you how many watts it consumes. It's used to suggest what sort of cooling you should use.
the TDP is rated higher than it needs to be, so that adequate cooling should easily be provided when OEM's build systems with the chips.

Yes I realize that. Ok whatever go for the 920 just realize that you , so that adequate cooling should easily be provided when OEM's build systems with the chips.[/QUOTE]

To me it seemed like simple logic. 125 watt chip and the board supports up to 95 watts.

Go for the 920 then, it will oc to 3.5ghz on air with adeqaute cooling, and it is still a 45nm Quad Core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom