Modem problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kintuk

Beta member
Good day,

I am currently sorting out a friends computer, its a really crappy old dell, and his daughter was skanked on it at a car boot sale in cambridge. I had fully sorted the machine and internet connection last time I was round. Although he didn't even turn it on for a couple of weeks. His daughter then went round, tried to access the net and it would'nt work.
Apparently she did not alter anything, besides simply switching it on and trying to access the net.
The only thing that I have noticed is that there is now no dialtone.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope some of you can shed a little light on the problem.

Hmmm...could be a bad modem. Check the obvious first such as is the phone line plugged into the wall, etc. If still no dial-tone, 56K modems are dirt cheap these days, so try replacing it.

if its aol or anything that uses its own diallier try dialling with hyperterminal to make sure you get a dialtone to the modem, that is unless u just replace it as said above

The frist thing I would do is query the modem. See if the com port will talk to the modem.

Someone still is using 56k? :p My friend is still an AOHeller and 56k user...poor him......anywho....they always say 'All I did was turn it on' thats always the case when something breaks down. There would be no dial tone if another phone hadn't been hung up or something to that effect....other than that all I'd be able to suggest is just like everyone else....replace it..they are dirt cheap...think I have like 3 lying around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom